Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by -Saosin-, Sep 8, 2005.

1. -Saosin-

-Saosin-

Sep 8, 2005
    I got interested in the bass a few weeks ago and im ready to purchase one but im a little lost....

Im short on money so i want a bass around $200. Any suggestions? And is guitar center a good store to buy from?

2. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
  3. -Saosin-

-Saosin-

Sep 8, 2005
    Thank you~!

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    GC is not a bad place to pick up an inexpensive bass. They usually have alot of Yamaha RBX 170s, a bass that I think is really good in that price range. They also carry OLPs that can be had for around $200. COrt and ESP also have some great basses for around $200. You may also check out www.rondomusic.com. I have no experience with these basses but many on TB swaer they are excellent for the money. The bottom line is that you can get a decent sounding bass for around $200 that will allow you to grow as musician. My one piece of advice is always put more money in lessons than gear. If you don't know music or how to play, a Fodera or Sadowsky won't do much more for you than an SX or OLP. If I had done that, I know I would be a hundred times further along than I am now.

5. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Depends on your options can you order online? Now is 200 just for a bass or a bass and a little amp?

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Peavey makes a really cheaply priced entry bass. I can't remember what it's called, but I saw one in Canada for $209 CDN new. Two jazz pickups, nice neck. Cheap components, but an acceptable bass. I still might buy one for my daughter. Check it out.

7. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I shuld preface this by saying I am very biased in favor of SX basses as beginner instruments and modding platforms.
    I recomend the Rondo music and their SX line. The sx line consists mostly of Fender Jazz and Precision copies, two of the most standard bass sounds. I have a 5 string SX that I like, but I would recomend the 4 string models if you are a beginner. Here are two good suggestions

http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb62mglpb.html a jazz bass

http://www.rondomusic.net/spj62.html A precision bass with a jazz pickup as well, known as a P/J setup.

If your 200 has to cover an amp as well, the basic precision model http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitars4.html would leave you enough dough to cover an amp as well. I worked at GC and SX basses are the only new basses under 150 bucks that I would recomend.

Also, because they are based on classic designs, they are also very easy to upgrade. If you stick with bass you can upgrade them so that even when you upgrade to a better instrument, you will still have a usefull alternate or backup bass. The downside with rondo is that you can't try before you buy, but the owner, kurt, is very easy to deal with and accomodating, so if you get a lemon (it happens more frequently with import beginner instruments) he will resolve it.

8. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

As someone mentioned earlier in this post, the Yamaha RBX series is a good one to look at. I have 2 right now, actually, and they're very lightweight and easy to play. (cough-forsalesection-cough) :D

My best advice is to do a search here on TalkBass and see what people have to say about different models. And get in and play some if you can. Yamaha, SX, maybe a MIM (made in mexico) Fender on ebay, and possibly Peavey are some good brands in this price range. I'm sure I missed a couple, though.

9. -Saosin-

-Saosin-

Sep 8, 2005
    I think im gonna go with the Yamaha RBX170. Thanks for the help!