Cheap bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidoc, Sep 15, 2001.

1. my folks told me they'd buy me a musicman stingray/stingray 5 (think the five) if I got all As in school. Being the kind of ADD diagnosed student that I am, that seems a little out-of-the question for now. (I'll come kinda close if I really try hard)

My friend who records for us's father was the sound tech for the Kenedy center in DC for 30 years, so he knows some **** about this.

He said the bass was really muddy and undefined. He experimented with different things; he cleaned the pots, used all types of direct-box settings, (we line from the amp into a direct box. Having played other basses through my amp, we found the prob wasn't the amp, and is most likely my bass.

I need a bass that my parents will consider getting me. It doesn't have to have a fancy price tag, but it can't sound like crap, like my current RBX-260.

I'm not sure about the price range, but it's gotta be cheap. Any suggestions?
  2. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Try looking into a MIM Fender jazz. Their great, and reasonably priced as well.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Cort Curbow
    Fender MIM (P or J)
    Spector NS2000 (think that's the right series)
    Dean (Razor, Edge)
    Tobias Toby Pro (4 or 5)
    *MTD Kingston*
    Ibanez EDC, EDA, or BTB

4. Thanks for the advice!

I'm getting sick of 4 strings; do you know if Fender makes a 5-string MIM jazz?
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX