Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap basses from THIS forum?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Greywoulf, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Okay, all the talk and criticisims about cheap dbl basses on this forum, they're making me think... (And right now I'm considering a Strunal 50/1 half-size bass, for around $800).

But then the basses listed right here as ads, what about them? Guy who advertises right on the banner head above this forum says "Dealer Prices to the Public" and he emails me and offers a Roma 1/2 for $895, and a Eberle 1/2 for $1125...

I know nothing about these two brands of basses. They might be a good thing, or...?!!
    Does anyone here have any opinions on them?
    (Or is that not allowed?)

greywoulf

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Read the FAQ at his site. There's also a thread regarding his basses somwhere here on this forum. He's already explained what he's doing here.

3. Whether you can find someone on the forum who can give you feed back on these or other basses is really immaterial to me. I suggest, like alot of people on TBDB, to REALLY study the newbie links, rent for awhile. then look into buying. Above all' do not buy a bass without seeing it and trying it!

4. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    For a raw beginner, renting is a good suggestion.

The reason I'm hesitant to just completely rule out ebay and mail order basses is because I have a paying gig. Bluegrass is the NASCAR of folk music so I don't have to have a pedigreed bass - just one to abuse. My basses pay for themselves and I can have a different one every year. My first $600 bass from ebay earned $2000. I buy one, play the $#!& out of it and resale whats left. Someday, I'll save up enough to buy a really good carved one but, for now I'm having fun and learnin' while I'm earnin'.

I say it depends on what you want to do with it. The right tool for the job. A carved bass in my environment wouldn't last any longer. An englehardt, with it's hardshell plastic casing, works great.