1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap Basses / Good Quality - Observation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lonote, Mar 22, 2004.

1. On Friday, I had some tires put on my car and decided to wait across the street in a music store. I go into the store pretty often but I usually have something in mind and I seldom have the time or inclination to look around too much at things I won't be buying. It is a small store that handles Fender/Squier, Peavey, Ibanez, Washburn and B.C.Rich. Normally I pretty much stay in the Fender area but I had some time to kill so I started looking around at the Peavey and Ibanez stuff and I was amazed at what I saw. They had a 5-string Peavey with a (substantial and well made) Bad Ass knockoff bridge, a quilted maple top in a subdued navy blue for less than $250 - brand new! The Ibanez line was also impressive including a neck-through 4-string with 2 MM pickups for about $500. I am waiting to see what the Artcore semi-hollow basses with 1 MM pickup look like in person; they will sell for about $300, I am told. The Artcore guitars are shockingly well made for the price so I imagine the basses will be, too.

Young people taking up the bass these days have a lot to be thankful for. It looks to me like quality in the low end has increased dramatically in the last 5 years or so. It used to be hard to find a decent inexpensive bass but now it looks like it is hard to find a bad one! There is a lot of quality out there and it doesn't necessarily cost an arm and a leg.