1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap Battery Powered Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JazzBassMayn, Mar 21, 2006.

1. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    Hello everyone, I am interested in a cheap battery powered amp to be played around camp fires and things of that nature. I just want it to be around 15 watts or so. My brothers will be playing acoustic guitar, and mandolin and dobro. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    A better (relative term) Pignose is the the Hog30. Still sounds pretty poor (I own one).

If you already have a decent little combo, you could also use a 12V marine battery (better suited than an auto battery) and a power inverter. Anyone gone this route and have any comments?

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I've gone another route of taking a full-range automobile amp and setting it to run off batteries, and a power supply to run from the wall and charge the batteries.

You can find some good bargains in the auto-amp market, but make sure it's a full range amp. Also Class-D or Class-T will have good battery life.

Or for lower power, Sonic Impact 5066 battery-powered Class-T 15W amplifier are pretty popular and you can find lots of sites that have hot rodded them. around $25, Add your own speaker. If you have an active bass it can probably directly drive one. It can't be bridged - so you'll need two speakers to get the most out of it.