Cheap body, killer neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Assumer, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    If you had a cheap body from a beginner bass and put a nice warmoth neck on it and upgraded the electronics and hardware, would it just be ruined by the origional body? I realize wood plays a part in the sound but with active electronics is it that important?
  2. well it really all comes down to what the body is. I think fenders have a good body.
  3. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i once played a fender squier(china) that had emg's(p/ups)a bad ass bridge,and a mighty mite neck and the bass was more than acceptable,if the body is made of a real wood(not particle board)you can always make a decent bass with the proper up-grades(a good bass always should start with a good cut of wood for the body)and most low end basses now a'days use real wood for the body its just the rest of the stuff(pick-ups,bridge,fretts and hard-ware) they cut corners on to keep the price low,but if you do the math its sometimes cheaper to just buy a used upper end bass or a mex fender than build up a low end bass thats my experience but i'm sure if you bargin hunt you can make a decent bass,i bought a 80s GRAND PRIX japan made p-bass copy for 125.00$ de-freeted it with 10.00$ worth of supplies now i have a great frett-less as opposed to spending X amount of bucks buying a new one
  4. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    My first bass, bought back in the mid 80's was a Squire Bullet Bass. A few years after I bought it I put a Warmoth neck, Carvin electronics and a Schaller bridge on it. The finish has been completly removed to bare wood which seems to be poplar or basswood. I still play this bass on a regular bassis, it has a pretty good tone. I plan on putting in better elctronics though. It's the bass on the right.[​IMG]