Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap body, killer neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Assumer, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    If you had a cheap body from a beginner bass and put a nice warmoth neck on it and upgraded the electronics and hardware, would it just be ruined by the origional body? I realize wood plays a part in the sound but with active electronics is it that important?

2. well it really all comes down to what the body is. I think fenders have a good body.

3. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i once played a fender squier(china) that had emg's(p/ups)a bad ass bridge,and a mighty mite neck and the bass was more than acceptable,if the body is made of a real wood(not particle board)you can always make a decent bass with the proper up-grades(a good bass always should start with a good cut of wood for the body)and most low end basses now a'days use real wood for the body its just the rest of the stuff(pick-ups,bridge,fretts and hard-ware) they cut corners on to keep the price low,but if you do the math its sometimes cheaper to just buy a used upper end bass or a mex fender than build up a low end bass thats my experience but i'm sure if you bargin hunt you can make a decent bass,i bought a 80s GRAND PRIX japan made p-bass copy for 125.00$ de-freeted it with 10.00$ worth of supplies now i have a great frett-less as opposed to spending X amount of bucks buying a new one
    :bassist:

4. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    My first bass, bought back in the mid 80's was a Squire Bullet Bass. A few years after I bought it I put a Warmoth neck, Carvin electronics and a Schaller bridge on it. The finish has been completly removed to bare wood which seems to be poplar or basswood. I still play this bass on a regular bassis, it has a pretty good tone. I plan on putting in better elctronics though. It's the bass on the right.[​IMG]