Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap bow advice needed

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Kevinlane, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    What to look for in an inexpensive bow for a newbie?

Will be using on an Eminence EUB.

Probably just to get familiar with one, so lesser $ to be spent.

2. For ~ $100 you can get them over the InterNet. Bob Gollihur (All Hail), Lemur Music, Jim Laabs, to name but three most probably stock a suitable bow. If you're thinking of learning, get a good teacher, and take their advice. Things like choice of German or French style of bow are much easier to answer face to face with someone where you can get "hands-on" experiece.

Tip: playing arco will improve your intonation like you wouldn't believe!

Good Luck -

- Wil

3. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    I am having an experienced friend teach me some, informerly. His suggestion was exactly the same as yours, get a bow for the intonation improvement.

THX

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Get a composite carbon fiber bow from Glasser (NOT Fiberglass). They respond almost as well as lower end pernambuco and much better than a lower-end wood bow. They are very durable. Carbow makes carbon fiber bows that are supposedly amazing, but they are much money. I and several bassists in Oklahoma play pernambuco bows by a guy way out in the boonies (Coalgate, OK) named Tom Owens. His bows are SERIOUSLY underpriced at $540. If you are ever interested in a good bow, let me know and I'll try to find his number. He is a retired guy who went to school for bowmaking because he thought it would be a fun hobby and he was already a good woodworker. He usually keeps 1 German and 1 French on hand, or he will custom make you one, and you can try it on approval.

Monte