1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap but decent reverb

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Aug 8, 2020.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I had an MXR Reverb that I sold due to losing all my work during the Covid outbreak. Loved that pedal, but it was gross overkill for my very simple reverb needs, which are really non-existent for bass. But I wouldn't mind getting another one for guitar. I just don't want to pay over $50, and the cheaper the better.

Naturally, this leads to talk of brands like Donner, Mosky, and the like. I'm willing to trade fancy features for one solid reverb sound that sounds like what I got using the MXR on the plate setting. But I know so little about them and I don't want to get burned with high noise floors, bad gain matching, and burlap blanket-like tone. So if anyone's had any experience with them, I'm all ears.

2. NerdyOcean

NerdyOcean Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2020
    North Carolina
    Best best would probably be the Biang Baby Boom. Solid reverb with a few options and super easy to dial in. Stereo in and out if that ever matters. I really liked this one when I had it in a stereo setup.
    https://www.amazon.com/Biyang-3-mode-Stereo-Effects-Stereo-designed/dp/B004PVVP6I

The Caline Snake Bite is awesome but a lot of control. Took me a while to dial it in and lots of options. A nice LPF though that makes it pretty nice on bass.
    https://www.amazon.com/Caline-CP-26-Acoustic-Electric-Distortions/dp/B00SV12BO8

The TC Skysurfer looks nice. I haven't used one but I have been impressed with this line of TC pedals so I'd be optimistic about it. Only under $50 used.
    TC Electronic | Product | SKYSURFER REVERB

3. Frodolicious

Frodolicious

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I wonder if you can find a TC Hall of Fame Mini within that price range.

I had the MXR Reverb for awhile as well, and that had some lovely sounds! The TC one is fun too :)

Ronzo, Ryno1330, fourstr00 and 2 others like this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Out of the three, this one seems to have caught my attention the most. When you say "simple," that makes me happy. Plus the artwork is cool :D

A bit tough to find at $50, but I like the idea of loading up a toneprint and having only one knob to deal with.

Looks like I've got two frontrunners now.

Inara likes this.
  5. I don't know. For $50 you'd be lucky to find a EHX Nano Holy Grail. If you really like spring reverb, I can personally vouch for the Catalinbread Topanga but that's a personal recommendation with no regard to your budget.

6. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    A used EHX Ocean's 11 should be just over 100 with the Oceans 12 out now. It's simple to use, but has 11 reverb types packed in. Sure, it's over the budget, but it's one of the best pedals I've ever had, and adding the 12 didn't knock it off my board, even with the SA Collider Delay+Reverb. I've planned to take it off and use it at church, but just can't force myself to do it. The EHX Grails can probably be found in that 50 buck range as @Rolling Thunder suggested, but they have just the Hall, Room, Spring, and Flerb (chorus + flanger+ reverb). The 11 gets all of the Grail, has a great tremolo, an echo, a reverse, shimmer, infinite. It's also small and easy to dial in great sounds quickly, and with a recall of your last settings for the particular reverb type, even if you fiddled with the knobs on a different type.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'd endorse this pedal from personal experience: simple and effective.

8. If you can tolerate playing through an iOS device, Garageband has a very usable reverb, among other things.

JimmyM likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The Biyang has emerged as a strong front runner after some demo listening. Hearing it compared to a Strymon Big Sky, I may actually like it better than the Big Sky. Big Sky has a ton of versatility but I don't need it, and I thought the Biyang was hanging in there with it tonally. The Caline isn't bad, either. I've ruled out Donner and Mosky, though this one I never heard of called the Axor spring reverb does a really good job at imitating the Fender spring reverb. But that's all it does. The HOF sounds nice, but I don't want to spend that much, and I may have changed my mind about dealing with toneprints. Not ready to pull the trigger quite yet, but the Caline and Biyang are emerging as favorites. I'll give it another day and see how it goes, but I think I may actually like the Biyang better.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    New contender just popped up...Joyo Space Verb. Not bad at all!

happycamper, WillyWonka and Peteyboy like this.
  11. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    stretch your budget $10 and get the HOF mini. The plate toneprint is excellent. And there are millions of others.

Polk Salad and JimmyM like this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Damn man, just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

That toneprint thing does seem like fun. And I do like the one knob thing once you're done uploading it. Still, gonna sleep on it.

EDIT: Hmm...toneprint app gets a lot of bad reviews. Also, apparently you can't beam your own toneprints to it, only the ones that TC has for offer. What's everyone's take on it?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    troy mcclure likes this.
  13. MrWolf14

MrWolf14

Jun 28, 2015
    Munich (Germany)
    No experience with Tone Prints.
    I am using a TC skysurfer on my bass pedal board (32€ new from Thomann) and I am more than satisfied. No issues with the noise floor and I can get the sound I was looking for.

of course this pedal doesn’t se to much use: a song intro, to make stone ethereal from , some slow parts here and there.

JimmyM likes this.
  14. TC HOF Mini would also be my choice. Or a used HOF (no mini), when you want to dig a bit deeper.

JimmyM and EatS1stBassist like this.
  15. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    The cheapest I’ve found is Dr. Green’s Bass Verb by Ashdown. I paid around $50 for mine new.

EDIT: I just discovered the TC Electronic Skysurfer Reverb, which is even cheaper at $32.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  16. nilorius

nilorius Suspended

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Tcelectronic.

17. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Word of warning if you are looking at TC Skysurfer - that whole line of pedals uses same size housing, and it's bigger than it looks from the photos. I bought Afterglow chorus and could not fit it on my pedalboard. Check out dimensions before you get one.
    Interesting trivia: that whole line of pedals are rehoused Behringer products, after TC bought that company.

tc-electronic-vintage-series.jpg

18. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I use this little Ammoon ENO unit. Not bad at all, and only around $40.

JimmyM and bmac314 like this.
  19. T-boneParish

T-boneParish Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Austin // Charlotte
    JimmyM likes this.