Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheap but good head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap, but good used head? id like to spend somewhere in the $250 range. needs to be powerful enought to drive a 2x10, which i imagine shouldnt be that hard. thanks in advance

2. behinger. 300watts check musians friend.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I agree! Can be had new for aprox. $199.99! I'm buying one as a spare!

4. LDV

LDV

Aug 2, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    GK 400RB Used

5. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Musician's Friend also has Peavey Deltabass heads for 200 bucks brand new. I've tried them and they sound great. Also check Ebay, there's plenty of good deals on there.

6. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I just liked the thread title.:oops:

7. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I agree with LDV. Used GK400RB. I bought one as a spare and it cooks. $175 on the bay.

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    What about an Ampeg B2R on ebay?

9. What he said. EXACTLY what he said.

10. LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yah... my mom....

~Zentner

11. What's the scoop on this Behringer? 300 watts...is that at 8 or 4 ohms? Anyone have one?

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Just checked the Behringer website,, that's 300w into 4 ohms... doesn't give any rating for any other ohm loading.

13. That's the first thing I thought too!!! :D

14. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Get a g/f :)

15. Or a New York City corner whore !

16. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    The thread title caught my eye, lol.

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You won't find much of a B2R for $250...plus as good as they sound they're underpowered IMHO.

18. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I agree with BillyB on this one. This may sound odd as I have never actually heard a B2R. But I've heard way too many people say that the Ampeg B2R wasn't as loud as a comparable SWR, Hartke, etc., with the same output rating. For this reason I would consider a Hartke 3500 over a B2R. They also tend to be cheaper, reliable for the most part, and mmore readily available.

K

19. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It's a real shame that the B2R isn't more powerful. To my ears it's one of the best sounding amps that I had owned. I'd love to have a preamp version in my rack.

I prefer it to the sound of any of Ampeg's tube preamp models, but that's me. YMMV.