Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheap cab for a stage rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by South Town, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Hey everybody, here is my thought:

I have decided to "upgrade" my rig a little bit. I play in a popish rock band (ala Goo Goo Dolls mixed with Switchfoot) and for the last year my stage rig was bass--volume pedal---Hartke Kickback 12 that is DI'ed. I just got a BDDI on backorder due in early January. Assuming I like the BDDI, I want to sell the Hartke and get a small, cheap half-stack for stage use (both in sound and looks). I was thinking along these lines:

-Ashdown MAG 4x10 (my fav b/c blue cones)
    -Hartke VX 410
    -insert others here

I am thinking like $300 for the cab and will get a cheap head. As long as the BassDriver sounds good, it will go to the board. Any opinions??

Peace...
    Nick

2. Avatar! Their stuff has a great rep, sounds good and is in that price range.

3. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I would second a vote for an Avatar 4x10 (4 ohm), or a used SWR Goliath or Eden D410T

For a head, something like an SWR Bass 350 (about $350 used) would be nice. The Ashdown MAG heads are pretty nice, too. I picked up a used Tubeworks (Genz Benz) head for $200 that is good.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i would second looking for a used goliath or eden 410

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    If you have the room & strength, a PV 2x15 cab will do basically all you want, especially with a BDDI...

~S~

PS: STILL have/use mine after 20yrs!!!...

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Ah... I like helping someone put together a rig... hehe :smug:

My Recommendation would be to shoot for the most power for the least money. And to be honest... it wont sound to shabby either (especially with a BDDI).

I'd pick up an Avatar B212. It's a great selection for a standalone bass cab. In fact, if your looking for a standalone Halfstack cab... any 2x12 cab will be a better, and more diverse selection than most any 4x10 bass cab, with the exception of the Schroeder line of cabs.... but You seem to be looking for a cab in the Avatar price-range.

The B212 will run you up about $320... and can safely handle anywhere from 300Watts, to 1500Watts. Which leads to amp selection....

I would most certainly go pre-power. For the money?..... hell yeah, I would. The QSC RMX850 and RMX1450 sell for $300 and $400 Respectively. You could land a preamp (Samsamp RBI or BBE BMax) for another $300. The combination of pre-power is about as expensive as your average head.... except your gonna have SO much more power and flexability.

I would go with an 8ohm cab, just in case you decide to add another cab into the equation in the future. With the RMX850, you'd have 600Watts monobridged... and with the RMX1450, you'd have 900Watts monobridged. You cant beat that for the price. And if you wanted the Full 1400Watts... all you'd have to do is order a 4ohm cab, or just add another 8ohm cab (probably a 2x10) to your rig. More power than you'll ever need.

I'm not sure if your the type to be overly picky about tone... but tone, to me, is useless if your not felt and heard. Gain your power, then fine-tune your tone... that's my approach.

Good luck.

7. Thanks y'all for the help. OK, I like the idea for going for a pre-power rig, just because I might use the individual pieces for different gigs. Question arises though...

Everyone uses QSC amps for some reason. Why not use other power amps that have more watts/ cheaper. I am not stupid- I know that quality matters, but I am super careful and clean with my gear, and gigging for me has the same amount of wear as it would have sitting in my house. With that said, we use a Behringer *gasp* power amp for our PA with no problem. Why not buy one of those instead?

Thanks again for the help!

-Nick

8. firstbassman

firstbassman Apples & Dirges

Sep 6, 2004
    NYC/Northern NJ
    It would probably be worth your while to look into a Dr. Bass 2x12 also.

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Another vote for Avatar. Excellent bang for the buck. :cool:

10. Can I get a website on this one? Thanks.

Oh, and y'all check out the deal with the avatar cabs. An Ashdown head for $288 free shipping. I like a $600 deal for an amp shipped.

11. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Simple, QSC RMX Series has the best ratio of power, quality and price. Once your ready to invest in something heavier, the PLX Series, which is still a great value, can easily compete with most highend power amps.

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    another thing to consider when looking at power amps is how honest the specs are. Lots of manufaturers fudge specs to make their amps seem more powerful than they are. Behringer may or may not do this, but given their reputation, i would guess they do a littel fudging. Powering a bass is different than powering a PA, especially a PA that only handles vocals in clubs. Bass guitar is very demanding on a power amplifier due to the dynamic range of the instrument, and due to the fact that it produces very low frequencies. Bass frequencies eat up a lot of watts. It's not all that uncommon for a professional PA to use higher wattage amplifiers to power the subs than to power the mains due to this fact. A power amp that does a great job of amplifying vocals in a club may fall apart and clip like mad when being asked to amplify the bass at the same volume. That's why you'll see most of the players on this forum who use a pre/power rig using repected amplifiers like QSC, Crown, Stewart, and Crest. Amps like these have stood the test of time when used in bass guitar rigs.

13. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    i am very happy with this little cab:

gk

but there´s no tweeter and no port if you care about that.

14. South Town
    You have a PM.

15. Point taken, but you seem to miss the point of STAGE rig. We have our own full PA, so this is only so I can hear me. The only reason I want a bigger amp is because our acoustic player got an SG and a tube combo, thus three amps on stage. With that being said, the Behringer is stated 2500 watts. I only need around 250 with headroom up to maybe 500 watts. That is a lot of fudge if they screw that up. Also, I am in college kids, and money don't flow out of daddy's pockets like it used to... :bawl:

Thanks though for the explanation. Also, General, I will try to call soon and thank you!

Peace.

16. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Dr. Bass Cabs! :D

17. Just say NO

to Rat Fur!

18. I'll look into the Dr. Bass cabs, but I need a website. Google is giving me some great physicians, but one guy sounded really confused when I asked him about his cab size (which might be a bad question for a urologist...I'm just joking). Anywho

GIVE ME A WEBSITE FOR DR. BASS PLEASE!!!

19. UM................

sure.

20. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I haven't played a Dr.Bass cab, i do own many avatar cabs. [includig the B212] If i was going for this stuff again-i probably wouldn't have changed much. The poweramp? I went a bit beyond your price range, and bought a Carvin DCM2000-more power than i'll ever need. They do make other poweramps that cost less. For the pres-a Sansamp RBI would work. I have the RBI, BMaxTube, and am in the process of buying an RPM. I like my options. Also-i'm in high school, and double on upright so versatility was key for me.

That's all