1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CHEAP cabs with great low end, is it possible?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AngusHasMoxie, Mar 30, 2013.

1. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    :help:
    I know this is a topic that's been beat to death, and will continue being beaten until the end of time. But here's my situation:

Money is a huge issue for me, without much coming in currently I need to be as frugal as possible in putting together a gigging rig without embarassing myself.

To this end, I've put together an impromptu rig of my old sansamp, a Carvin DCM1000 (which I stumbled across on the local CL for $120!), and now I'm on the search for a cab to push it through.

I play in standard E, so I don't need an impossible amount of a low B for a pittance, but I would like a strong 40hz representation in exchange for a few weeks of ramen.

I'm open to pretty much anything, and even though the local CL is full of PA and guitar equipment, the bass gear is dreadful, so I'm probably going to have to buy new or pay almost new prices for a cab I don't really want in the first place.

So, Acoustic? Peavey? Something like this? http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/LS1503

I don't like financing but it doesn't look like I have much of a choice. MF sent me a 20% coupon which works on some of the cheap stuff.

TB has never steered me wrong! (I know this is a new account but I was an active member ~3 years ago!)

2. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Carvin a good safe bet...and so is Avatar

3. AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    I'd love another B410neo... but that's very much out of my price range. (I got mine when they were only $429 :( ) My ceiling would be around $400 US, but $300 is the price point I'm shooting for,

4. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Well search for a used one (B410neo) or save some more $ and get it....

5. RadioRob

RadioRob

Dec 15, 2012
    Fender 410 Is under $300.00, 500W, 4ohm, is sweet looking and thumps very well.

6. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    That 1503 from Carvin was a good bass cab a few years ago. Some issues with the crossover maybe?
    Research "boutique bass cab on the cheap" or similar.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Not entirely realistic but I catch your vibe: strong low-end presence without fritzin' or flappin'. Your sonic footprint really begins to take shape >50 hz. FWIW, some of the SansAmp rackmounts HPF @ 80 hz and I engage the 50 hz HPF on my power amp. Ignore the specs, use your ears whenever possible.

Sleeper suggestion: see if you can find a used Hartke HyDrive 4 x 10. Got a used one for next-to-nothing as part of a package deal. Didn't expect much but, boy, it has a really nice sound to it! It's a sealed cab with a natural low-end roll-off...to my ears, anyway.

Riis

8. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    +1 on Avatar bass cabinets!

Plenty of lows to my ears.

The Avatar's are inexpensive, not cheap.....

Avatar uses the same top of the line cast frame Eminence USA drivers as are used in Berg's and Epi's.
    Horns are from Foster, as are used in Ampeg, Carvin, Fender, SWR, Eden, Peavey, Roland, ect.
    Crossovers are from Eminence.
    For the most part, Avatar uses the same componets that are used in the higher dollar, commerically built bass cabinets that are available.....but, they cut out the middleman and cost you roughfully half as much.

The Carvin drivers are stamped steel frame from Eminence of China.

From what your sound descripition was, I'd suggest looking at a Avatar TB153 cabinet.

www.avatarspeakers.com

9. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I AM cheap...and pretty poor, being disabled and all...

I had a couple of old PV 112 PA speakers, ported cabinets with a 12 and a piezo, about the size of a 2X10 and fairly shallow.

I bought two 375watt RMS 12" speakers from MCM Electronics for $39 each.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-55-2982-/55-2982

They go DEEP. They aren't quite as efficent as the specs say, comparing them to other speakers I have. They would make decent subs.

The high mids and trebles weren't there and I didn't like the piezo, so I bought two Pyle 6.5" sealed back mids along with a couple 12dB 800Hz highpass crossovers from Parts Express.

The first gig, with my PF500, I had WAY too much low and sub lows, and the 12" peak (still running full range) at 2k was brutal. I had to run the bass on the PF500 at around 8 or 9 o'clock.

I added 800Hz lowpass filters to the 12's and blocked the ports. Next gig, glorious tone, but the low end didn't extend into the room, but it sounded great where I was standing. So I unblocked the port in the lower cabinet (stacked vertically). Same tone where I was standing, and full low end in the room. I may unblock both.

So $39 12's, $14 6.5" mids, 4X$10 for the crossovers, and I have a rig that looks great (black grill cloth, black tolex, black hardware, and white piping around the grills) and sounds fantastic.

I would guess the 12's are around 92-93dB and the mids are 93. I have to turn the master up a hair to get to the level with my 15 cabinets. I have plenty of room to go louder.

I'm toying with trying a more efficient 6.5" mid, and turning off the mid in the bottom cabinet. The Eminence I'm looking at has more high end as well. We'll see. I'm happy, but never quite satisfied.

I was going to build a couple of sealed 2X10's but I'm really happy with the 12's. The low end exceeds all the EV's and Black Widows I've used over the years.

10. When I was a lot broker and still had a young mans back I figured out the solution to your problem. People often dump their heavy cabinets for cheap.
    I would keep an eye on CL for Mesa boogie 2x15, Sunn 2x15, peavey 2x15, as well as the Ampeg 8x10. I see Ampegs fridge cabs go for $300 all the time.
    Folks just dont like 100+ lbs of cabinet after they get some high tech 35lb cab.

I also wouldnt overlook PA cabs. Some of the 15"+2" cabs are pretty killer bass bins.
    Likewise for 15" and 12" mid bass horns. Some of the Peavey cabs are good for this.
    Heck I used to run an SP with the crossover an horn ripped out and a piece of wood covering the hole.

11. None of the cabs mentioned are 40hz monsters. Strong 80hz is all you need, witness SVT.

12. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Hartke VX-215

http://www.samsontech.com/hartke/products/cabinets/vx-cabinets/vx215/

Check Guitar Center's used gear online, they are discontinued but you can find them for less than $300... there are a couple of them on there right now. I have used one of these for 5 years gigging and it has performed amazingly...tons of low end and very light for a 2x15 at 70 lbs. For a light, low, and loud gigging rig that wont break the bank or your back, you can't go wrong with one of these!

13. Hidesert

Hidesert

Oct 7, 2011
    Santa Fe
    Find a used Carvin BRX410Neo or BRX210Neo x 2 (these will cost a bit more).
    The BRX Neo line used (primarily) Eminence Deltalite 2 speakers, and the cabs are quality built. I found a 410 locally and it handles 900w without complaining. Can't say I am in love with the tweeter, but I purchased it for a little more than the SHIPPING cost alone on a boutique brand 410.

14. AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
  15. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Peavey tvx410, tx410. The Trace elliot ought to work too, play through it and see if the drivers aren't beat.

16. Trace 4x10 is heavy as hell, gimme 2x15 for tone and manoeuvrability.

17. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Great Low end?
    .. Fearfuls come to mind when i think of Great low end

18. On the cheap, not likely.

19. AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
  20. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Anything that is capable in your price range is going to be heavy. I wouldn't mess with the chinese Acoustic crap. You'll be sorry.