1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap carved or laminated bass? Help!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by nebojsa, Apr 13, 2009.

1. nebojsa

nebojsa

Oct 8, 2008
    I'm looking to buy a DB here in Adelaide, Australia, and IO found a couple interesting offers one is

http://www.jouellinestrings.com.au/?stg=147&view=147&shpc=0

and sounds great for just 2000 AU, but I can not try it, and I don't know anything about instrument or this seller..... However, there is one guy in Adelaide, plays in symphony orchestra and has his luthier shop and his "best" (cheapest) offer is
    http://bassworks.com.au/store/category42_1.htm

Taylor laminated for 1600 AU. I would mostly play jazz pluck, I would love to put realist pickup on my DB, so what is your advice? :help:

2. Hi ,As you live in Adelaide ,my advice would be to go and see Peter McLachlan at Bassworks and see what he can help you with , I do most of my Bass shopping with him and he is very helpfull.

3. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    solid wood for $2k AUS, and new. hmmm....

at that price range id be going with ply. you can get a nice resonant jazz sound with a ply bass, but ive never seen or played a solid bass that cheap.

4. nebojsa

nebojsa

Oct 8, 2008
    Thanks heaps,guys, that was my thought, I'm gona visit Peter at Bassworks, that carved bass has confused me! Do u know does he have rent to buy options or something like that? Tnx again!

5. nebojsa

nebojsa

Oct 8, 2008
    Thanks heaps,guys, that was my thought, I'm gona visit Peter at Bassworks, that carved bass has confused me! Do u know does he have rent to buy options or something like that? Tnx again!

6. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    i know its a big step but its best for you to own and instrument outright, then you can customise it to your own desires without worrying about fine print rental arrangements

unless youre unsure whether you want to play long term, but even then a cheap instrument you own is the best option as you can still sell it.

7. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    uhh, de ja vu?

auto posting bot?

8. nebojsa

nebojsa

Oct 8, 2008
    LOL:), I don't know what;s going on with posts, it's not me! Thanks

again, I was afraid no one will answer my thread.... It' much easier

when u got a tip from some more experienced musicians, save some

time, money and energy... I was thinking about rent to buy just as easier

way to buy the bass, hope I'll get it ASAP.....

Cheers!