Cheap case for Ampeg SVT 3 Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by megiddo, Nov 11, 2003.

1. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I'm looking for recommendations for a case for an Ampeg SVT 3 Pro. I'm in the process of buying the SVT 3 Pro along with an SVT 1440 cab from my brother in law so I'm not going to have much money left over for some type of protection for the amp. I only play at church and home so I don't need a road case. But I'm not fond of the idea of throwing the amp on my back seat without some kind of protection. I'm thinking about a soft case with a shoulder strap or an SKB rack case. I need something cheap but that will still offer good protection.
  2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I'd definitely say get a SKB rack case man. I really want one for my SVT-3. They are usually really cheap on Ebay sometimes.
    SKB racks on Ebay
    I want one!!
  3. I have a 4 sp. SKB rotorack. I'm looking to get $40 out of it. I'd include shipping for that price.

I've used them before, and lots of people don't like them, but for the price I don't hink youcan beat it. I never had any trouble with mine. They are a little bulkier than the regular SKB racks though. I think they are a bit lighter too. Since you're not going on the road with it, I don't think you'd need an anvil type case either.

4. Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    I'd recommend getting buying an aluminium brief case, and then get it padded specifically for your svt.

SKB's are OK(mines in one now), but they shake the sh1t our of your amp. Every vibration that your case feels, the internal electronics feel.

Because of ampegs mass production, the welds arent normally %100 A class quality, so the constant vibration will often crack a few of the welds, and you may lose upto %50 of power.

I just spent a couple of hundred getting mine overhauled and re-welded due to this very reason, and i am by no means rough with it.

IMO a some kind of padded hard case would be a much better option. That way your circuit boards wont get murdered everytime you go over a speed bump in you car, etc
  5. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Hey basstrader thanks, I may take you up on that. Has anyone seen / used those padded soft cases with shoulder straps?
  6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Hey wait... How much is a cutsom mold??? Does anywhere online sell them, that are molded already??
  7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    dude, you should measure first. I got a 3 space, and it's a little too shallow... just need a deeper one.
  8. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I'd go with an SKB or Gator. As far as vibration...any case that is not shock-mounted will vibrate whatever's inside, if the case itself is subject to vibration. Solution: use something to isolate the rack (assuming it's living on top of the cabinet). Some use the Auralex Gramma. Being cheap, I used a couple of old computer wrist rests. No more vibration. As far as the SKB Roto racks...personally I like them. I have a smattering of different cases and racks and the Rotos, to me are tougher than the "ATA" series SKBs. The rear "access door" can be an issue for some but not for me. Also check out the new US series Rotos from SKB. About the same price as the original Rotos...BUT...they have front and rear rails AND lids. They also feature an aluminum cage suspended by (it looks like) polyethylene "pylons"...kinda looks like their shock mount racks, but you can rest assured it is a solid mount. The new series has lots of airspace around the contents to aid in cooling and the system looks like it could sustain a pretty good lick without damaging the contents. The downside is that they are physically larger than the "ATA" or original Rotos..perhaps 2.5 inches in height per case and maybe 2 inches in width.