Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheap cheap bass suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phlashx0r, Feb 12, 2001.

1. phlashx0r

phlashx0r

Feb 12, 2001
    I feel like a dolt for asking this since I'm sure its been asked a million times already... I'm actually a drummer but I've always had fun playing bass when people leave them in our practice room so I've decided to get a cheap one and try to learn. I'd like to play punk/reggae/ska/metal, lots of stuff... I've played a Rogue LX200B and a Fender P-Bass quite a bit and I prefer the Rogue's light but sturdy feel... I'm looking to spend about 200 dollars, though someone might be able to convince me to go a little higher. Right now I'm seriously considering either an Ibanez GSR200 or a Dean Edge 1... both 200 dollars and both seem to have fairly good reviews from their owners. Suggestions?

Oh... I've looked through these forums a lot, so let me say: like I said, 200 dollars. CHEAP but GOOD. Please don't suggest I save up another 1000 dollars and buy something else. :)

2. Last Call Playa

Last Call Playa

Feb 12, 2001
    Well since you are a drummer you know that the good deals are going to be on used equipment.
    You will get a much better used bass for $200 than you will a new bass.
    Check out the guitar shops and pawn shops and newspaper, then plug it in to an amp and tug on a string then let go. If you like the sound it makes go for it!

3. JohnA

JohnA

Mar 21, 2000

Saw something this week in a local shop. It was a musicman copy, but it had some neat features...

it was 35" scale (5st), had a composite fingerboard, and the wood actually looked like a decent slab. Neck fit looked tight, the bridge was on straight, and the finish was rad.

i think it was like $250. i was on my way out and just goofed with it not plugged in. the name was either a 'jay turser' or some other name that sounded like 2 names put together (can't remember it now)

4. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    i'd say Fender P or dean Edge....
    but then again what would i know :oops:)

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I saw a very cheap cheap bass in musicians friend Its a Rogue and it was selling for $169. (us currency) that cheap enough for ya...lol

of the ibanez and deans that you are considering, id go with the ibanez. if you want to spend a lil more then you can get a nicer fender jazz bass

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You could also look at the cheaper Epiphone basses. They do have an "Accu-Bass" model that is basically a P-Bass, and was pretty good quality for the $185 I paid for it used. I sold it after I got my Fender, but the guy I sold it to really likes it.

It's not the top of the line by any means, but it's pretty good for the price range you're looking at.

7. elan_virpul

elan_virpul

Feb 12, 2001
    you'll get much more bass for the buck if you buy used. glad to hear a drummer is taking up the bass guitar. welcome to the bass!

8. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    do what I did when i was still drumming. Buy a cheap, low end used bass, see if it's something you really wanna explore, then start saving your duckies and buy a better one. ;)

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Epiphone EB1 or Viola. Try Musician's Friend. Good sounding, surprisingly well-made and cheap. Actually, EBay is a better source since you can pick up the Viola from time to time used for about $250.

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I would check the used market first, you might run into a deal. Musicyo has several decent, inexpensive instruments.
    http://www.musicyo.com/

11. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    http://www.guitar-villa.com/Bass/bassJ_M.htm

The 4 strings are $249 and the 5 string is $325.. pretty cool to show off to people ^^;

Good luck