cheap cheap bass suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phlashx0r, Feb 12, 2001.

1. phlashx0r

Feb 12, 2001
    I feel like a dolt for asking this since I'm sure its been asked a million times already... I'm actually a drummer but I've always had fun playing bass when people leave them in our practice room so I've decided to get a cheap one and try to learn. I'd like to play punk/reggae/ska/metal, lots of stuff... I've played a Rogue LX200B and a Fender P-Bass quite a bit and I prefer the Rogue's light but sturdy feel... I'm looking to spend about 200 dollars, though someone might be able to convince me to go a little higher. Right now I'm seriously considering either an Ibanez GSR200 or a Dean Edge 1... both 200 dollars and both seem to have fairly good reviews from their owners. Suggestions?

Oh... I've looked through these forums a lot, so let me say: like I said, 200 dollars. CHEAP but GOOD. Please don't suggest I save up another 1000 dollars and buy something else. :)
  2. Last Call Playa

Last Call Playa

Feb 12, 2001
    Well since you are a drummer you know that the good deals are going to be on used equipment.
    You will get a much better used bass for $200 than you will a new bass.
    Check out the guitar shops and pawn shops and newspaper, then plug it in to an amp and tug on a string then let go. If you like the sound it makes go for it!
  3. JohnA

Mar 21, 2000

Saw something this week in a local shop. It was a musicman copy, but it had some neat features...

it was 35" scale (5st), had a composite fingerboard, and the wood actually looked like a decent slab. Neck fit looked tight, the bridge was on straight, and the finish was rad.

i think it was like $250. i was on my way out and just goofed with it not plugged in. the name was either a 'jay turser' or some other name that sounded like 2 names put together (can't remember it now)

Sep 10, 2000
    i'd say Fender P or dean Edge....
    but then again what would i know :oops:)
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I saw a very cheap cheap bass in musicians friend Its a Rogue and it was selling for $169. (us currency) that cheap enough for

of the ibanez and deans that you are considering, id go with the ibanez. if you want to spend a lil more then you can get a nicer fender jazz bass
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You could also look at the cheaper Epiphone basses. They do have an "Accu-Bass" model that is basically a P-Bass, and was pretty good quality for the $185 I paid for it used. I sold it after I got my Fender, but the guy I sold it to really likes it.

It's not the top of the line by any means, but it's pretty good for the price range you're looking at.
  7. elan_virpul

Feb 12, 2001
    you'll get much more bass for the buck if you buy used. glad to hear a drummer is taking up the bass guitar. welcome to the bass!
  8. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    do what I did when i was still drumming. Buy a cheap, low end used bass, see if it's something you really wanna explore, then start saving your duckies and buy a better one. ;)
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Epiphone EB1 or Viola. Try Musician's Friend. Good sounding, surprisingly well-made and cheap. Actually, EBay is a better source since you can pick up the Viola from time to time used for about $250.
  10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I would check the used market first, you might run into a deal. Musicyo has several decent, inexpensive instruments.
  11. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000

The 4 strings are $249 and the 5 string is $325.. pretty cool to show off to people ^^;

Good luck