Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap & cheerful valves for a SVT300 valve power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hstiles, May 28, 2001.

1. All six power valves were cooked during a recent gig - I let the bassist in the headline band use my amp and he kind of pushed it a little hard :(

Anyway, I want to fix the amp up quick and sell it on as it's breaking my back, plus I borrowed a SWR Bass 350 off a friend that sounds amazing with my PSA-1 at a fraction of the weight & heartache that comes with the Ampeg. Can anyone recommend a good make/model of cheap Chinese/Russian 6550s that I can purchase for the amp.

Don't worry, I'm not trying to rip of the potential buyer - I intend to get it fully serviced and biassed before selling it, I just don't see the point of spending money on expensive G.E, Raytheon or other US tubes when most people just won't appreciate the extra expenditure!

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    http://www.watfordvalves.com

he is based in Hertfordshire and the site is very informative. Price up some Sovteks although NOS are available. There should be a phone no (if not look in guitarist or TGM the ad is yellow)

PS I dont work for them

PPS welcome to the board

3. The guy's name is Derek. I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago. He'll charge me £159 for a full set of 6 matched Sovtek 6550s, plus a set of preamp valves. Probably not that bad a price, but I'm trying to save as much as possible - especially as I'll be selling the amp ASAP

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Try Hot Rox (dont know their site) they are in guitarist and TGM but I think their prices are similar.

I dont know who stocks Chinese valves.

Happy Hunting

5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    That's not a bad price at all from Watford Valves.
    I seriously don't think you will get anything cheaper unless maybe try EBAY or something...

6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hey,
    I just thought of something.....
    Are you absolutely sure they are ALL fried?
    I had something like this a few weeks back and it turned out to be only 1 power gone and the H/T fuse.
    If they are ALL fried I would get the amp properly checked out, cos it's probably more than just the valves!