1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap combo amp battle! Hartke B60 vs. Yorkville 100B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by autodidact, Jul 19, 2012.

1. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I have a few things for trade on my local Craigslist that I'm looking to get an apartment friendly combo amp for and so far I've gotten 2 worthwhile hits.

First offer is a Hartke B60. Let me start off by saying that aside from the XL cabs, I've never played a Hartke I just sold my HA3500 and it broke my heart to see her go. I know the B60 won't have all the features or sound exactly the same but after owning the 3500, an LH1000, and falling in love with the HyDrive cabs I'm a Hartke-holic.

Second offer is a Yorkville 100B, its got everything I want feature wise: simple EQ, headphone jack, Direct out, and with the extra wattage if I start gigging again I can at least practice with it without PA support. However I've never owned a Yorkville zo I'm not sure about the reliability and generally I'm more attracted to 12" drivers like on the Hartke rather 15" like that on the Yorkville.

Anyone able to shed some light on the situation? Personal experiences with the amps is a big help and this is usually the place to find that.

Thanks in advance!

2. There is a lot of Yorkville gear up here near Toronto Ontario Canada from all decades and it's all still being used. The Yorkville stuff is very well built and seemingly indestructible. Yorkville is also a great company to deal with if you need repairs. They make all their service manuals available on line so just about any repair guy can fix it if something goes wrong. They mostly use standard north american electronic components so repairs have always been cheap. Having said that, I haven't seen many that have had problems. I personally have a bunch of tortured Yorkville amp stories from when I started playing.

In comparison I've heard and read over the years of a few occasions where people were having problems with some Hartke equipment. Up here there does not seem to be much Hartke equipment around. Given my personal exposure to Yorkville vs Hartke equipment being 80% to 20% I'd have to deduce you could expect better reliability out of the Yorkville 100B. IMHO.

3. I had a Yorkville BM200 combo, and it was a tank. Heavy, but solid sounding and pretty loud. They are called the "Peavey of Canada" for the ruggedness of their stuff. I'd buy another without hesitation.

4. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    But the question is do they SOUND like the Peavey of Canada? Don't get me wrong, my first head was a Peavey Firebass 700 and I loved it but in hindsight I feel like it was somewhat thin sounding compared to my later Hartke gear.

5. The 15" Yorkville will sound decent. Will it out perform a Bergantino, Thunder Child or fEarfull? No. But it will fill out the low end of a band with a respectful drummer.

There is also plenty of Peavey equipment around here as well and in my opinion I preferred the sound of the Yorkville when comparing like combos. The DDT compression always sounded so false to me with the older Peavey bass amps. I also prefer the Eminence drivers in the Yorkvilles to the Sheffield or Black Widow drivers found in the Peaveys. Just MHO.

6. Not really. I think the one I had actually sounded nice and full, maybe a little boomy.