1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CHEAP combo amp, name'em!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by williamk, Jan 24, 2012.

1. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    Ok if I'm looking for the "best" combo amp but the first and most important criteria being cheap, what should I be looking into? Obviously I want it to sound decent and be loud enough to play with a band and small gigs (so obviously not a 25 watt amp), but brand, size, speaker size, watts (to some extent), weight, etc are of less importance. I really want to pay as less as possible. I will also gladly look into used stuff. I already spotted a rumble 75 for 150$. That's in my price range (though I have no idea if it's a piece of s**t or not...). Any suggestions of very cheap combos that are not TOO shi**y?
    thanks

2. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    ps: I see A LOT of used Traynor amps for some reason...any good?

3. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
  4. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Dude, what's with linking a search for Marshall stuff?

5. Id check your local craigslist for used combos and gear. Sometimes people are willing to part with old gear for a great price, especially if they know they are helping someone out who is just starting to play. I would also check out your local pawn shops for used gear. Remember though, try everything before you buy anything. No matter used or new, don't by it by the brand, buy it by the sound.

6. Rumbles crumble in bands. Invest in a used amp + cab.

7. I scored a used, but perfectly serviceable 60 watt Axl B60 amp for $50. Craigslist is your friend.

8. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I like my Fender Rumble 150. 150 watts with a 15" speaker and is $350cdn

9. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Ampeg B100R or B50R all the way . . .

10. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    yeah, I heard of those...but isn't ampeg expensive?

11. Premierbass

Premierbass Commercial User

May 26, 2011
    Superior, Colorado
    Owner, Premier Bass Guitars
    Loud, Good, Cheap: pick any two.

That said, GK offers bang for the buck in lower price ranges with quality. Shop used if price is your primary motivation.

Dan

12. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Used Peavey Combo 115. Can run an extion cab. The Combo 115 will go 300 watts with a 4ohm ext cab. Cheap used, very durable and decent sound but a little heavy.

Used GK RB Series combos. Solid, reliable and loud enough for small to medium gigs.