Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap combo's, 100W+ and looow?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Suburban, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hi, guys.
    Need to ask you something, becasue the combo at my church has started to drift. That is, if you change the settings, there is no way to find your way back! Seems the pots have a stocastic resistance... No, they do not rotate with the knobs.

Anyway, I found a few not too expensive alternatives, most of which I never heard before.
    Anyone have experience of those:
    Carvin PB100-15
    Laney RBW 200 and 300
    TraceElliot Commando 15
    Torque 1001EB and 2001EB
    Ashdown Electric Blue

The old 150W Carlsbro is powerful enough, but doesn't really cover the frequences I play - I often use the C of the B string, and sometimes even down to F....

Any info welcome!

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I suggest you try an Ampeg combo, either the BA115 or the B100R. Not exactly dirt cheap, but they're good stuff. I thought they both handled low frequencies pretty good when I played through them (at different occasions with different basses, so I can't compare the two... however the B100R has a very good reputation).

Out of the ones you mention, I have only played the Trace Elliot and IMNSHO, it sounded like poo.

(I may have played one of the Torques as well, not sure about that though... if so, I thought that sounded like poo as well.)

3. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    I owned a Trace Elliot Commando 15 for a short time. Once I played through an Ampeg B100R, I sold it as quickly as possible and bought the Ampeg.

4. mecha hooch

mecha hooch Guest

Jan 15, 2002
    jacksonville,fl
    the b100r how sweet it is

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I don't know if your church uses a PA or what, but with only 100 watts or so, and playing "looow" you'll have some problems getting heard, if you're just using the combo.

I'd try to go for at least 200 watts.

I've always liked those retro looking Ampeg combos, though... They're one of the few Ampeg amps that I have found to be nice. :)

6. Another vote for the B100R. Absolutely great tone. Warm and vintage. I've played through the Ashdowns too, but, a member here said he owned both the B100R and an Ashdown, and said that while the Ashdown was nice, the Ampeg sounded better. Also, the Ampeg is 65lbs, and the Ashdown is about 45 or so. I think a more solid cab gives an all around better sound at the expense of portability.

Mike J.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've played through the carvin pb200 [15in. spkr, 160watts @ 8ohms bridged] & i liked it. Tried the ampeg ba115 & classic ampeg sound in a small box. Now i own [christmas present] a Fender BassMan 200-200 watts @ 4ohms through a 15. This thing IMO blows away the other amps [i know it has more power]. The ampegs are great and i like my fender.

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Thanks, folks.
    I know that Ampeg are held in a high reputation, but they are also held in a high price. My church is not the Crystal Cathedral, rather the opposite. So the B100 is about 1/3 above the possible pricerange....

So, I' appreciate some more input on good cheapoes...if there are any:confused:

How about those Laney's and Torque's?

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I don't know much on that Laney series, but I sure do hope that it has some serious improvements from the Laney series I've played, the BC's (a.k.a. low-budget crap). The BC120 I had the misfortune of using in school music classes was possibly one of the worst sounding amps I've come across. If the RBW is of the same quality, I'd suggest you don't even think about it.

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Bump!

I really need info on the Torque as well...
    ANy UK TBers know anything? About this, I mean:eek: