Cheap crappy tube amp buzz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassteban, Oct 20, 2004.

1. I have an old Peavey Alphabass. I actually like the tone, but it buzzes like a swarm of bees. Has anyone ever had this problem & solved it with new tubes? I got it used, so no telling how old the tubes are, but replacing them all would likely cost more than I paid for the amp. Anyone?
  2. Before you potentially WASTE money on new tubes, get the amp to a tech. I know it's tempting to just start swapping things, but the tubes in there MIGHT be just fine and something else is wrong.
  3. Thanks, Psych. Can you or anyone else out there recommend an amp guru in the Sacramento, Calif. area?
  4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think buzz like that is most often not tubes. It's usually something to do with the power supply.. hm - now that I think about it: if it has a rectifier TUBE in the power supply, then it may be worth trying to switch that out. Else it could be the supply caps (the 'cans').

A tech could tell you right away, and it wouldn't have to be a guru - although I think the extra money is worth it if you're having a whole amp setup, or a whole rebuild done.