1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

cheap custom bass builder,but better than wishbass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quadrogong, Oct 22, 2008.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    wondering if there are any other "cheap" custom builders,less than $1500,but better than Wish,I'm considering peicing together something myself...but also considering custom..
    anyone like that ??

i found wish and the "punkbass" guy..
    both not good enough build quality for my needs,and yeah, i'm stretching it,
    I might wind up with FBB Custom again, but he's getting popular,and the wait time is getting long..anyone out there a little less than Valenti or FBB?

I guess I'm just curious, i like to explore all options when buying new gear.

2. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
  3. I dunno, asking $1500 for something handmade and not-Wish is asking a bit much, BUT sometimes you can check the TB classifieds for something similar for what you're looking for. Chris Stambaugh and Cliff Bordwell are extremely affordable, but definitely not $1500 affordable.

4. Some of the cheaper ones are Matt Pulcinella, Ramirez, and Valenti, but I'm not sure if they're in the the $1500 price range, maybe $1700-$2000.

5. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
  6. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
  7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    DP Custom
    As long as you don't start getting all fancy.

Some here will put Dave down, hearsay as far as i'm concerned. I have had nothing but a good experience with him. I had mine built on 2005, so I have seen his builds improve 10 fold since then.

Don't you know, Wilser Ramirez is the next Vinnie Fodera ;)....He'll have a 2yr waiting list in no time.

8. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Semi-custom would be Carvin right in that price range.

9. enen

enen

Mar 2, 2008
    lowendrachel likes this.
  10. I'd rather not speak for Jared, but I would suggest going to his site and filling out the price quote form (feel free to tell him I sent you.) Even with all of my weird requests, I'm very comfortable with the price he quoted me.

11. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    Alan Knight does great custom builds, if you like Fender style relics. "bigal_024" on ebay.

12. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    cool, gonna check these sites,
    I'm actually looking for an unusual scale length,
    a 33" scale,which I know FBB does,but havn't seen too many folks messing with them

13. PM user mrniceguy. Hes got a great 33' scale custom for sale.

14. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    i beg to differ. try and Tom Clement and tell me what you think.

OP, check out Tom Clement Basses

15. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Definitely support JNowiski here. :)
    Tom does awesome work at an awesome price (seen from the customer's perspective), and deserves to be checked out. Shouldn't be confused with anything on Wish level at all.
    Search for Clement here on the forum, should bring up some information for you :) Be sure to check out the "Am I insane"-thread by Stew522. ;)