Cheap D'addario strings!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Geej, Mar 5, 2005.

1. I found some cheap strings on ebay... 2 sets... for about half the price at the shops... so I really think I should get 'em... seeing how bass strings are none too cheap... especially in australia :eyebrow:

D'addario EXL 170-5 Nickel Roundwounds
    GAUGES : .045 .065 .080 .100 .130

My question is.... and this might sounds stupid to some, but im serious... Is it ok if I use a pick on these strings? like, will i ruin them quickfast? Most of the time I use my fingers to play, but occassionaly my band wants to do some rock that needs a pick... namely, Newstead era Metallica, Guns n Roses, A Perfect Circle and such.

And if I can use a pick for these strings, will it give a good sound anyway?

And will these strings have a decent life? Considering I'll do my best to keep them clean... (denatured alcohol and stuff)

In your experiences what kind of tone will these deliver with finger and/or pick?

2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I just bought a two pack of those from musicians friend for $23.45 for 2 sets of 5 strings. Couldn't pass up the price. I think that's less than Carvin sell their strings for. I've been using Ernie Ball Slinky's and have been very happy with them but who knows? We'll see how long they last. I just put one set on my fender Jazz last night. No gig until next week but so far they sound good at home. They feel kind of rough compared to the EB's IMO. not necesarily a bad thing though.