Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap DB that isn't terrible

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Matt Till, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright guys, I searched and couldn't find a decent discussion of this... what basses get you the most bang for your buck? I want a DB... I'm going to major in it... but I don't want to go broke. But I want it to last... errr am I curse to spend 3000 dollars on a decent bass?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Try the newbie threads at the top of this category. 3K is a good budget for a decent plywood or a luck score on a lesser carved bass. In general, get yourself out of 'brand name' mode.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It won't take me long to get out of name brand mode... I don't know any name brands. I don't know, the newbie thread wasn't really helping me out... errr I guess I'll just have to spend a fortune (to me, a poor college kid) on a bass :(

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I don't know how many good bass teachers there are on Mars, but ask around and find the guy that know basses the best and have him guide you. $3K leaves you plenty of room to find a good bass, and if you aren't starting school until next fall you'll have plenty of time to find something good. Don't jump in too fast. The worst mistake you can make is to get impatient and buy the first thing that comes close.

Funny how many things you can apply that last bit to...

5. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    You can go broke faster being impatient than trying to find the right bass at the right price. Ask me how I know. If bass shops are as few and far between on mars as they are here in Anhourfromanywere, Texas, then look in pawn shops, scour the newspaper and tell your buddies that you're looking. I got a decent bass but, i could have gotten a better one for the money i paid. I was impatient.

6. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I found my first bass by posting a "Wanted" ad in a local newslist- not even a music specific one, just one for people in my region. Two weeks later I had a wonderful sounding old German hybrid that I still kick myself for selling a few years later.

Point is, you never know where you'll find a bass if you just keep looking. A few years ago I passed on an old school plywood bass I saw at a flea market. The seams were all open, and it probably was missing the soundpost, but the seller only wanted $100. It would have been worth putting $700 into.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm newbie, especially to the double bass and Englehardt/Strunal/Christopher threads don't yell out "CHEAP BASSES" to me, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Note to CF:

Mebbe you could divide up the newbie link to put all of the discussion of entry levels basses under some kind of heading that would help out Mr. Stupid and his kin.

No offense meant, Stupid -- you picked the name...