1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap E-Bay Tuning Pegs...any good?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ZenG, Oct 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. There's lots of those on Ebay. For ridiculously low prices.

Was thinking of getting a better looking set simply because I don't like the massive gaudy chrome stock ones on one of my basses.

I doubt anything I buy in the style I want will weigh more than these on there now.

Anyway, weight isn't the issue. It's the looks.

Are they any good? What's the quality like? Do they work satisfactorily?

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I've seen all kinds of problems with cheap tuners - broken worm-gear shafts, broken crown gears, broken capstans, stripped mounting threads, and on and on. But they're often cheap enough that you can buy several sets for the price of a good (more pricey) brand. I wouldn't' have them on any of my basses, but I rather insist on the best.

ZenG likes this.
  3. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I foolishly bought a couple of sets...one black one gold, for what seemed very good prices.
    Both sets had problems...sharp edges and either too stuff or too loose turning.

I got Hipshots instead.

DevinWard369 and ZenG like this.
  4. Thanks . Then I shall not buy such spurious ludicrous rubbish. I'm done with cheap junk that breaks all the time.

The last thing I need is a tuner peg popping off while I'm in the middle of a song.

Those things could take somebody's eye out.

bolophonic likes this.
  5. Yea, I've fallen into the same trap. Don't waste your time.

Get the good ones and dodge that bullet.

ZenG likes this.
  6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'm the outlier here (and apparently very lucky!): the last 3 sets of tuners i've purchased (cheapies on amazon --- less than $15 for each set) have all worked out so far (3+ years). they've been treated with respect, but used/abused normally. none have failed!

https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Tuner...&sr=1-106&keywords=black+tuning+machines+bass

i'm sure there are various qualities of cheapies. just like there are various amounts of luck!

8. idealtracks

idealtracks

Dec 18, 2001
    I got a set for $13 shipped for a spare parts bass about 2 years ago. They did the job ok as a wall hanger and occasional player for a year or so, but I eventually replaced them with Hipshot Ultralites. I recall that every time I picked up the $13 tuner bass, I had to tune it, but now it stays in tune perfectly with the Hipshots, and the weight difference is very substantial. FOR THE MONEY, they are ok. Otherwise, I'd just stay clear. Go for the best if you can!

9. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

You don’t like the straight posts?

10. Correct.

11. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

BD54FA1A-F032-4ADD-B752-92FEBCD54CF0.jpeg
    How do these sit with you. JinHo South Korea. Excellent. Chapstick for scale. C227C0D1-10CE-48F6-BC09-F9D68A960C14.jpeg D316BD3A-41E1-4C92-B6A6-C2D88460254D.jpeg

12. moving parts are a gamble
    I've done ok buying cheap bridges from evil-bay, but they were fixed bridges.
    I wouldn't buy a knockoff of anything as complicated as tuning machines or a double-locking vibrato style bridge & expect it to be much good:

13. Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  14. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

They are excellent quality, jinho builds Wilkinson, and since you’re in Canuck (I think you are in Montreal?), and I don’t need them.... project cancelled by parliament, they can be yours.

Post is 13mm (1/2”) bushing is 16.7mm for a 17mm hole.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  15. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    if (cheap = good) {
    pigs fly }

16. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I have great purchase experience with China seller . Mostly I bought from taobao.com, because cheaper price than Ebay and Aliexpress for same item.
    Have zero issue with all 12pcs of Y tuner , 8 pcs of MIM std bass replacement tuner and 4 pcs of Wilkinson Vintage tuner before.
    I also bought other stuff like Metal Dome Knobs, pickups , bridge, electronic tuner , pickguard ,instrument cable ..... blah. blah... from Taobao. Satisfied with the product quality and great follow-up service from seller.

My friend looking for Ibanez prestige bass's knobs (2pcs x 20mm , 3pcs x 15mm), asking USD 20 for each knobs and total USD 100 from GC. I help him to get all knobs from taobao and just spend RMP 14 !

17. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

The plethora of stories on TB of Ibanez and Warwick Rock Bass tuner posts 3/8” (MIC) bending and breaking after a few years under tension should be enough for us to know that cast Eastern junk isn’t worth the time. I’ve also seen 1/2” cast posts that have bent. I sit here waiting for the chocolate tuners on my Ibby to give up.