cheap ebay bridges

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rayle_Trail, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Rayle_Trail

Jun 14, 2004
    I was wondering about the huge amount of bridges on ebay that are hipshot knockoffs and if they are actually any good or not? I know the difference is moulding vs machining, but does it really effect your sound that much? or just your wallet? Has anyone bought one of these bridges? if so what are they like? Im just interested because the real deal hipshots cost so much! And the cost factor could possibly out-way the sound factor for a stingy bugger like me.
    Cheers- Bankrupt Rayle :(
  2. What I am about to say does not apply to all eBay bridges. Surely the quality of such bridges is all over the map ...

I bought a Mighty-Mite style bridge on eBay for a custom Telecaster I was building. Way cheap, like around $15 or so. It went on an alder body. Maybe I got lucky, but this Tele sounds superb and plays superbly. I have some pretty nice guitars (including a Les Paul Custom), but this one sounds as sweet as any of them. Had it not worked out so nicely, I would have used it until I had more cash, and then I'd have upgraded. But like I said, the bridge worked out great.

Having said all that, you usually get what you pay for.
  3. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I see a lot of CustomShopParts bridges on the 'bay, too. I've never actually used one, but I hear they're really good, except for the "Indi" bridges, which are apparently crap. But this is just what I've heard. However, I do have an unknown Fender knock-off (pretty sure it's off an SX) on my jazz bass. I can't tell the difference between it or any other Fender bridge.
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Some might be good, but others will be bad.
    You are going to spend much more on tuners, btw.
  5. Jarno

Jan 27, 2005
    You can get those on eBay cheaply as well. I bought a set of secondhand Schaller BMFL's (great condition, one of four needed straightening) for $30, great tuners! I also bought some noname set of guitartuners new for $9, but as was to be expected these are of dubious quality, I also bought a TOM bridge to go with these tuners for $5, a great deal I think. One of these days I'll through mix these parts with some wood and end up with a practice guitar (nothing fancy).