Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheap ebay no-name speaker cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bentem, Nov 6, 2002.

1. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I was looking for a speaker cabinet, a 4x10 or a 1x15, preferably both. I saw on an ebay store ("all speakers") there were new speaker cabinets each for under 175$.
    here they are-
    www.stores.ebay.com/allspeakers

theyre down twards the bottom of the 1st page and the 2nd page

They seem ok, but for the price, im not sure theyre worth it. Does anyone use theese, and/or know anything about them and if they are any good. I dont know what brand.:D

2. They look nice but I'd feel a lot better if the listed the speaker components. They could have stuck anything in those cabinets and you'd be stuck with them.

3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Those are the same speaker cabinets available on Speakerhole.com or discountmusicgear.com. They are the X-Audio cabs, not the Madison cabs. They're actually pretty good for practice/small gig stuff.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    spend the 50 bucks more and get avatars. with those, you know the speaker you're getting, and know it's a damn good one!!!

5. The 4x10 cab has an SPL rating of 96db. I hope you have a BIG amplifier.

6. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    when you say a big amp, how big do you mean, and what would happen if i didnt?:

7. I'd say 1000 watts, minimum.
    Let's compare this mystery cab to one that's rated 10db SPL higher, say, the Eden 410XLT. To get the 96db cab as loud as the 106db cab you will have to apply 10x as much power, which means the mystery cab will take 1000 watts to be as loud as the 410XLT is at 100 watts. If you put something like a 350 watt amp on a cab like this you're going to have a lot of trouble getting enough volume and have the temptation to push the amp harder which of course is going to clip the signal if you push too far.

8. I've got the 2x15, and despite what people say about them (especially since they have absolutely ZERO experience with them) they are very good cabs. For the price, they are probably the best things on the market. I played a lot of cabs in my hunt for a new rig, and I played some cabs that were twice the price and sounded half as good as the X-Audio ones. People seem to think you have to spend a lot of money for quality gear. :rolleyes:

Are there cabs on the market that sound better? By all means, yes. But are there any cabs that sound better anywhere near the cost? Not that I've heard.

I'd say they are better than for practice or small gigs, too. I have a 1x8 for practice. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I push mine through a 200 watt SWR head, and I don't need to turn it up much at all to start rattling the walls. (Master vol 3~4 / Gain 4~5). You can throw around all the numbers you want, but it means diddly squat once you plug in and play.

9. I like to select my gear by more scientific means, but that's just me. If the "wall rattle" method works for you, who am I to argue? Besides, I didn't say the cabs were no good, I'm simply saying they're not very efficient. Acme cabs are some of the best sounding cabs around and they're also inefficient. Acme owners will be the first to tell you that they need a lot of power.