Cheap(er) amp retailers.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yoshi, May 8, 2003.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi all.

I'm part of a village youth project and weve been granted a sum of money to buy amps, P.A., mixers etc for the youth group to use in order to put on fundraising shows and whatnot.

The guy who's running it shown me the list of equiment, along with quotes from a local retailer. The prices are steep on it, and I said I'd look online for cheaper buys of the same/similar equipment.

If any of you guys could put forward some links to websites tha tsell them/shops with contact info I'd be dead greatful!

It's vital that the equipment is brand new due to warranty's and electrical checking etc.

Thanks a lot!
  2. Here's what I would do. 1st I get a Musicians Friend catalog and price everything I needed including cords mics and shipping. Then I'd go to your local music stores and price the same exact or as close to exact items. Then I'd show the retailers what the same items can be bought from MF catalog. I bet at least one of the music stores will meet or beat the MF price.

You are always ahead to spend the kind of money you have been granted with your local businesses. That way the money stays in the community. And you can explain this to the retailers. Being a schoolteacher, I've had to do this sort of thing more than once. I always say "I want to spend the money with YOU (being the retailer) but I have to be responsible to. Can you match the discounted price?" Good Luck.
  3. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Good thinking, thanks!

I'll go price them all up on MF then convert them accross to UK sterling. Would it be wise when showing the local stores the figures, to include the p+p fee's too?
  4. If you don't include the p+p fees, that will give the retailer an advantage you can't argue. Do an internet search for music retailers in the UK. Try and obtain a catalog from a couple of them. Use something from within the UK as a bargaining tool if possible. That way you are comparing apples with apples.