Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap Finger stength building!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tomass, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    My father told me that you can greatly improve finger strength with this cheap method, all it requires is a tennis ball. Don't worry about getting those stupid finger strength gadgets, all you do is press on the tennis ball and try make it compress. Do it for about 10-15 minutes a day while watching tv or something and your fingers will get stronger.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This is not recommended.
    1. You can hurt your fingers
    2. The strength gained can slow your fingers down
    3. You don't need much strength anyway, it's more stamina and dexterity
    4. You get all this from actually practicing on your bass!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Strength has nothing at all to do with playing bass. It's all about dexterity. However, unlike JMX, I don't think it will hurt your fingers at all to be stronger, so squeeze away.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I didn't say it will, only that it can, given that some people tend to do too much too early in training.

5. Definitly practice, practice, practice. Your instrument is your is your best work out, but an artist/musician has to find their own way of getting the job done. Musics an art, not a science, the way you express that art is yours alone, I say whatever works for you.

-Johnny-

6. agreed..practice practice practice...put it down and pick the bass up hours later or even a day or two and you will be more proficient

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think if you spend those 15 minutes playing your bass instead of squeezing a ball you'll be better served. :)

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Stu Hamm mentions this on his second bass video, I only find it beneficial to my right hand in building pinkie strength for tapping.