1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by shaolinwhat, Apr 7, 2009.

1. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    I'm looking to try out flatwounds for the first time, and I just want to find the least expensive ones out there. No other criteria, just cheap flatwounds!

2. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
  3. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    perfect! thanks friend

4. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
  5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    How on earth does one decide whether they like flatwounds if they start out with "lowest price" being the sole criteria? Get something decent ... for not much more money. I'm very happy with D'Addario Chromes, have like DR Hi-Beams, and even Fenders.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have to agree. Flats last a long long time. Assume you like them, and buy a decent set. Just resolve not to change them out for a couple of months. The love affair really begins once you get them broken in.

7. no five string flatwounds there.

8. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Webstrings' Detroit Flats are great strings. They're about $16 a set, but don't let the cheap price fool you. These are good strings.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  10. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I am curious as to who makes the Webstring flats. Must be a major company.

11. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    For first time flats, I suggest Chromes or GHS Precision Flats. Good sound right off the bat. Good prices, too. Get the 45-100 Chromes, or the 45-105 GHS Flats.

My favorite flats are Fender and TI, but I don't recommend them here, because the tension and break in time for Fenders is pretty long, and TIs are very expensive.

12. I am trying to decide between Chromes and the DR flats. I have DR low riders on now. Can't decide between the two, and can only afford 1 set. Sometimes I hate having the 5 string for the extra cost, but I love having the low b to play on.

13. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    In term of cost and good sound i think Chromes and Rotosound flats is good.

I use chromes myself and the tone is so good, been using them on my bass for 1years now and it sound grat each time i pick up the bass

14. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    i totally agree, that would be the best option. but $10 here or there these days really adds up so i gotta go with the lowest price. but from what im hearing, the detroit strings are good quality so it sounds like a win-win.

15. Magical_Merlin

Magical_Merlin

Nov 2, 2008
    Kent, WA
    I have a set of Daddario chromes ECB81's that im never going to use. They have been cut, but they are long. If you want them ill send them to you for $10. Contact me at magical_merlin@comcast.net.

16. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I love the DR flatwounds, they are very smoooth (no ridges between the windings, they look like solid steel rods). They are also a little less tension than La Bellas but not super floppy like TI's. The only issue I have had with them is that the strings are a little long and the fat part of the string ends up wrapping partially around the tuning peg for the low E string. I have a standard 34" scale Precision bass and this was still an issue. Chromes are the only string I have found that is the right length for this bass.

17. How would you compare the DR flats and Chromes?

18. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    Is there any brand that makes black flatwound strings?

19. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    I second that motion on both accounts.

20. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009

LaBella Beatle Bass Stings. Got mine through JustStrings.com
    Short Scale however... You'd have to look and see if they make long scale ones. Also they are actually tape wound but do pretty much the same thing.