1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

cheap fretless 6 strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Sep 4, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    do they exist?

i was looking at the ibanez and peavey 6 strings, and i can't seem to find any thing indicating if they can come in fretless.

anything else around this price range? (<700)

(i'm just seeing if there's anything out there, or if i'll have to build what i want after i build my 4 stringer)

jason

2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    For $700 you can get a DP Custom 6-string bass - you get to choose the design, woods, scale length, string spacing etc. I don't have one myself, but I have heard only good things about them.

http://www.dpcustom.com/

Other cheaper 6-strings would be the Dean basses, Galveston, Samick (mostly Korean manufacturers).

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can always defret them ;)

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

If you can find a Cort Artisan fretless 6, that would be your best low priced bet. Around $700 I believe.

You could get a bare bones Carvin LB76F for not much more than that.

Other than that, you could spend ~$1400 and get a Peavey Cirrus fretless 6.

5. jcranny

jcranny Guest

Jun 5, 2001
    Is there any such thing?
    If u find out please let me know, coz I could use one myself.Cheers:D

6. I picked up an Ibanez fretless 6 around a year ago for about $500 (used of course).

7. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    You could always defrett a Yamaha TRB 6, as they are probably better basses for the money then all the previous basses mentioned.............just my opinion.

However you just don't know how a production line bass will perfom, after you've made changes!!:confused: