Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap fretless bass or upright electric

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bongo499, May 27, 2005.

1. bongo499

bongo499

Jan 10, 2005
    syosset
    i am currently playing a warwick corvette 4 string fretted. I want to explore the fretless bass and get a cheap one. Any suggestions about a cheap fretless bass. I would like the bass to stand upright on the strap but doesnt matter too much. :p :bawl: :bassist:

2. If you're looking for a simple lower end fretless electric. I'd suggest a Dean Edge 4 fretless (pic below of mine). Nice tone, active preamp, super neck, and great features for about 300 dollars (or less used). What's more, they're very light (7.5-8 pounds). The only thing I don't like about them are the stock strings...which are easily changed.

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I got a fretless Yamaha BB404F on clearance for $199 and it's a fine bass for any price. For about $300 or so you can get a fretless edge of Fender Jazz. Just remember at the price range you'll need to play a bunch to find a good one.

As far as electric upright basses, the cheapest one readily available is the Dean Pace bass which barely resembles an upright, has a 34" scale opposed to 41.5" and can't be bowed, nor does it sound like an upright.

I'd stick with fretless electric for a while.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The Dean Pace bass is about as much of an electric upright as a dog standing on its hind legs is a human. Worst. Idea. Ever. Not only can't it be bowed, but you can't use proper DB technique in any way. Turn any fretless on it's end and stick a PVC pipe in the bottom strap button hole, and you've got a cheaper alternative.

I'd reccomend going fretless electric, the Yamaha BB404F's are great. The $199 was a clearance price on MF, they usually go for significantly higher (I had to pay $500 CAD for mine last May.) Most fretlesses in this price range have rosewood fretboards (some have uncoated maple, which is even worse) so you're going to have to make a couple choices on string usage. Rounds, and resurface the board every once in a while -- flats and not worry at all -- or rounds and epoxy the board. I chose rounds. I'm gonna need to resurface the board soon, and after that, I'm going to epoxy it and slap some new TI Jazz Rounds on it.

5. Or half-rounds...and oil your board fairly often.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    *shrug* They're an option, but a niche market at best. I've never really seen any in stock, and IMO, attempts at compromising between two great things -- the feel of flats and the sound of rounds -- is always a half-decent emulation at best. Nothing sounds like rounds on a fretless except rounds on a fretless...or those god-awful Rotosound flats, but I've never heard of anyone continuing use of those for more than a few days.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm using rounds on mine. At $200 it doesn't pain me too much to see the board get eaten up. I'm planning on having it leveled and epoxied soon though.