Cheap Fretless Fender vs. Cheap Fretless Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by carliuxdelgado, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Hi. I will be definitely acquiring a new fretless bass soon. Considering my price range (below $500) it seems like my best two options are the cheap mexican-made standard j-bass by Fender ($419) and the even cheaper Ibanez SR300DX ($279). My question in obvious, what would you prefer, and why?
    FYI: I don't know why, I don't like to admit this, but every time I grab any Fenders, I just don't feel they're made for me. Sometimes I love the classic sound, but I always find them uncomfortable... I've even thought... I know it sounds like sacrilege for a lot of people... that they're overrated (not only the mexican-made ones). On the other hand, I own an Ibanez SR already and I love it. It is comfortable, and its bartolini pickups seem to me the best there is without spending my life savings. Nevertheless... I haven't played this particular fretless model. Have any of you people?
  2. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I have owned them both and actually preferred the Fender... but that's me not you. You said you felt better with the Ibanez so right away that is telling you something. In the under 500 dollar range there are alot of basses out there which you could buy used and some that you could buy new. I believe that all the Ibanez SR basses have the same neck so if you stick with Ibanez you will have several to choose from. I am sure my fellow TB ers will be able to enlighten you on the different Ibanez and other model basses.

Good luck.
  3. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Why not consider a Yamaha BB404F fretless. That's in your price range and is a highly rated fretless bass. Yamaha also has an RBX270F fretless for less. One of my friends has an RBX fretless and loves it. And Yamaha basses are consistent in quality.

Personally, I quite like the feel of Yamaha necks.
  4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'll second that. I've had an earlier version of this (a BBN4F) for 5 years and for the money it's just great. I'm keeping it as a spare even though I just upgraded to a much dearer fretless.
  5. Dincrest, thanks for the tip. I've checked it out already and it seems interesting. I have to say, the three brands that I've known to be more COMFORTABLE to me are Ibanez, Yamaha, and Warwick. Thanks.