Cheap fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Apr 14, 2003.

1. I'm probably going to be getting some acoustic gigs this summer, so I've been thinking baout getting a fretless. Plus I've just wanted one for a long time, and now I've got an excuse to actually buy one. I'm kinda thinking about getting an Essex Jazz and taking the frets off, and then maybe doing a few mods. I don't really have much money to spend here, so I'd like to kep it less than three hundred, if at all possible. Another one I just looked at was the Dean Rhapsody fretless. The Brice V2 is also an option. Any input?
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Instead of ripping up a perfectly good essex jazz, why don't you just BUY an essex fretless?
  3. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    look will be worth it.

although rondo instrument are indeed great deals for the money, spending 100-150 more on a used instrument can go a looooooooooong way.

older yamaha BB3000s are terrific instruments and can be found for around 300 bucks.

I just scored a 79 or 80 Aria fretless with EMGs installed. I was a bit skeptical because nowadays Aria seems to just put out total crap. Man this bass is a player! it was made in japan and is solid to the bone, with a straight neck, and it sounds GREAT!

search classifieds here,, and at harmony-central. eventually you'll find something great.
  4. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    I have a fretless SX p-bass clone with a maple FB. It's a great instrument for the money. I'd go with one of Rondo's "premade" fretless basses.
  5. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Musicians Friend has the Yamaha BBN4F on sale for $249.99. I hear these are pretty nice basses especially for the money. Do a search here and you'll see a lot of people like this bass. I'm thinking about getting one myself.
    MF-Yamaha BBN4F
  6. You can usually find used fretless Japanese Fender Jazz Basses for around $300 on, on e-bay or here in the H-C ads.
  7. DaveDrummer

Nov 2, 2002
    A lot of the yamahas are great basses for the $. I know that they make the RBX270 series in a fretless version.