1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap? Frugal? Cautious?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Mar 20, 2009.

1. I was just curious as to how many other people, besides myself, find themselves going out of their way to obtain and use primarily cheap (as in, inexpensive) pedals? I mentioned in another post that a large majority of the places i play are places like basements, dive bars, DIY spaces, and crusty squatter houses. I know first hand how much it sucks to have equipment stolen, and ever since, for playing live i usualy go for cheap and easily replaceable pedals. Does anyone else ever find themselves doing this as well?

I was also thinking about changing some things arround. As it stands, for live shows these days, i run:

Boss Bass EQ -> Bass Big Muff -> Boss ODB-3 -> EHX Holy Stain -> Boss Bass Chorus -> EHX #1 Echo

In regards to Fuzz, Overdrive, Reverb, Chorus, and Delay... are there any other ~$100 or less pedals that would fit the bill better than the ones stated? I have heard good things about the Digitech Bad Monkey... perhaps that could replace the ODB-3?

Thanks for the help, and maybe i am not alone in my self-preserving pedal ussage!

2. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    "Crusty squatter houses"

So true.

3. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    The classified forums here on TB, ebay, and craigslist are going to be your best bets for fast, easy, and cheap transactions.
    Research exactly what you're looking for and get searchin'.

You can land a big muff or clone for around or under $100.
    Bogdan Polish Loves show up on here for under $100 monthly (usually in spurts).
    The best you're gonna for for verb is a used EHX Holy Grail or Line 6 Verbzilla, mostly, for the price...
    A used Boss Chorus will be cheap and pretty easy to find.
    A used Boss Delay should be under $100 as well, probably a Line 6 Echo Park, too.

The people on here who use the Bad Monkey usually get them modded to play better w/ bass.

I'm a muff fan...Look into that!

4. Oh Meeeeeeeee too. I simply use the BBM and the fuzz on the Holy Stain for live shows. I just keep the nicer ones at home or for recording ;)

As for the Bad Monkey... where could i find schematics or whatever to mod the pedal? Does it really suck un-modded? $45 new sounds preeeeety good to me.

Also, speaking of Digitech... how is the Digiverb? I am super intrigued after seeing it on Nick's, from Young Widows, board...

Finally... Of the cheaper delays (Less than $120ish), which one has the longest delay time? My #1 Echo is GREAT for noise stuff... but 2 seconds is just a little too short for some things i want to do...

5. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Buying used from someone here is the best way to go. No ebay BS and generally people here will give good deals for their fellow bass players.

I'm cheap as well. So cheap, I've been building my own pedals. Only Dan Electro and Behringer pedals are cheaper (new) than building your own. Used Boss, DOD, Digitech, etc. used are about on par cost-wise.

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    cheap = good. USED is best.

The nice thing about bass is really, you don't need pedals - Guitar, you don't have much choice but Bass - you can just *play*. Pedals are fun but are rarely required.

7. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Have you tried your EQ after the fuzz and overdrive to help shape the character of the dirt?

8. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I hear ya, Harry, but if you read Din's profile, he's a doom/heavy/stoner dude.
    IMHO, pedals accentuate what you're doing as a bassist in doomy stoner music. It helps you stand out a little more since, at times, it can be droney and loud. You need some helps with the movements and pedals like OD into a muff or synth and fuzz can just give you a little leg up in the mix or on record.

Now that I think about it, look into a filter sweep of some kind. A Digitech BSW might be cool. For Zozobra, Caleb is using it a lot to add to dirt and it really shines. You can grab them on here, c-list, or the bay easily!

9. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Very true. But for my music, pedals are essential.

10. Yeah. I try to get cheap stuff too. Like a trade I am currently doing.

11. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    craigslist you can find used pedals on the cheap sometimes. i got a russian big muff for $25 this week! it's way better than my LBM for bass. the BBM is probably better simply from being more versatile.

the only one i've really shelled out for in the last few months is my Akai E2 (awesome delay/decent looper).

12. I toyed arround with my roomate's XSW for a bit and it WAS pretty fun... I'll have to try out the bass version! I haven't had much use as of late for a synth wah. I have more fun with my effects and my crybaby wah.

@Paganjack:

An Akai E1 or E2 is VERY high up on my GAS list! Like... number 1 or 2 depending on weather or not i'm jonesing for a DL-4 more that day or not.

I think at the moment my most (monetarily speaking) valuable pedal is my Digitech Whammy, but even that i did an even trade for a Brownsville 5string i never ever played and only spent about $150 on.

@cybersnyder:

No i haven't actually. Everyone i've played with has told me that EQ goes first in the chain...

Effect chain set-up is TOTALLY not my strong point. I'm always learning and experimenting!

13. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I used to have the same problem when I was doing stuff down in the DC area. I had some mostly Electro-Harmonix stuff at the time.

I took a piece of 3/4" plywood, made brackets out of sheet metal, and screwed every pedal and cable down to the board, and put a couple door D-handles on it for lift and carry. Weighed a ton. Then I put a bracket on one end and used to chain and padlock the thing to something immovable.

Looked like ****, but was durable. At one point we evacuated out the back door as the cops were rolling up to the front door because of a huge brawl that had erupted in the street outside.... I threw the pedalboard in through the van door and didn't even look to see where it landed, just jumped and went.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't go out of my way to get cheap pedals, but I love cheap stuff in general, except amps.

15. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    :D Sounds fun... :eyebrow: