Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CHEAP GEAR?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cheesepuff921, Sep 27, 2000.

1. cheesepuff921

cheesepuff921

Sep 22, 2000
    WHAT I SA GOOD PICKUP SET T HAT IS UNDER 20 BUCKS? I DONT HAVE A LOT OF MONEY AND PEOPLE ARE SAYING THAT IT COSTS 80 FOR A GOOD SET. ALSO CAN SOME ONE TELL ME WHAT A PEAVY BASSISTS PEDAL DOES. THANKS :)

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    We would need to know what bass you're using, and why you want to replace the pickups. It's going to be hard to find anything very good in that price range, but you can get MightyMite P-Bass pickups for $20 or EMG Select P pickups for $25. I haven't tried either, so I don't know what they're like. Sometimes you can get used pickups on E-bay, too.

3. cheesepuff921

cheesepuff921

Sep 22, 2000
    :):):):)Really they make pickups that cheap i have a peavy milestone 2. the pickups arent what they used to be and os i am replaceing them

4. cheesepuff921

cheesepuff921

Sep 22, 2000
    I WISH MRE PEOPLE CAME HERE

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    More people would respond to you if you quit yelling all the time. You come across like an 11-year-old.

6. Yes, please, do not type in all caps, it's annoying.

To your question, I don't think that there will be much in your price range. The ones that Max Power listed should be looked into before you install them, to see if they give you the sound quality that you are looking for.

As for the Bassists pedal, you will need to go to the "Effects" forum to get answers to that question.

Rock on
    Eric

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Also....I think more of us could help...if we had a bit more information. From the different posts of yours that I have read....I would say that you should put a new set of strings on your bass...and get a bigger amp. That could go a long way toward solving your problems.

8. cheesepuff921

cheesepuff921

Sep 22, 2000
    ok i will do those things. As for the caps, yes a few of them were me but mostly my yonger brother does that. He is only 9 so please dont be mean to him. In a while he Will get his own name.

9. billbassbuilder

billbassbuilder

Aug 30, 2000
    Hey Cheesepuff,
    I've used both Mighty Mite and EMG select pickups. The choice would depend on what pickups your bass currently has installed on it and what sound you're looking for. Mighty Mite have several different types (humbucker and music man type to name a couple) the EMG selects come in P, J, (single coil) and Gibson bass humbucker shapes. Both companies make pickups in this price range that are decent. I thought the Mighty Mite Humbuckers had a very dark but modern tone. The EMG selects I've used were the P/J pickups, a little rounder tone, much more passive sounding with a pretty decent J growl. You can find them at http://www.mightymite.com and emginc.com/Bass.html
    I hope this is useful, good luck.
    Bill