Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap good Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Soapbox Prophet, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Right now im in the process of overhauling my old crap....I have a peavey 1982 Mark IV bass amp which im keeping....but i do need a new cab....any suggestions? I can't really spend over $300 and I need something like 4x10s...or 2x15s or so. Would it be cheaper to build my own cab? any tips on how to if so? alright thanks!

Chris Murray

2. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I'd suggest you look for a used Ampeg,as long as you can try it out in a gig situation i.e. with a band playing,at least for a while,to make sure the drivers aren't all tired out.I've seen 'em for around $350 used.

3. jrock111

jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Check out Carvin also.

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    It's not cheaper to make a cab that is worth using. If you want a decent cab, look at used or check out Carvin and Peavey.

5. You can get a Carvin 410 for $399, 115 for $289, or you can look at speakerhole.com , but i'm not sure if they're worth it at all.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Used Peavey 410TX for $200-250.

You could also look for used cabs with EV or JBL 15" speakers. Many go for $100-150, so a pair would still be within your budget.

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I bought a Peavey 115BWBX on sale for $190 brand new. It's the only cab I use with my Carvin R600 head. I love the tone, clarity, punch and also the weight at the end of the night.

8. Canadian-made Yorkville are great cabs for a low price.

9. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I have heard Yorkville are good too. BassPlayer did a review last year but, it was about there 15" combo I think, and it did well in the tests. I think you can't go wrong with Carvin for the $. My first Carvin was a PB100-15 and it works great. ( I use it now just as a extension cab for my Ashdown ABMC210H-500 and it is holding up) I think you have 10 days to try Carvins and return it with no questions, althought I don't know who pays the return shipping?

10. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    go with the yorkville! they are awesome! I have one and I love it.

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    ill 2nd these choices

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i know just the think you are looking for....
    A cheap good cab!!!