Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap good cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I'm thinking of buying a 4x10 cab, i'm considering between Ashdown, Hartke or a GK. I talked with my local musicstore and Ashdown had some trouble right now with there delivery to Sweden so i maybe have to wait about 2 weeks or even 2 months.

How does the Hartke's sound? I've only heard negative stuff about them. What is the difference between the hartkes aliminum cones and the others? oh and how are hartkes heads?

Thanks! :bassist:

2. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    cheap good cabs? Isn't that a contradictio in terminis?

from what i've heard those aluminum cones sound plasticcy. maybe u should go for secondhand better brand.

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Avatar would be my recommendation as well except they don't ship anywhere but the US and Peurta Rico.

4. It would be hard to find an Avatar cab in Sweeden. Too Bad, they are killer for the price.

5. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I've got Hartke cabs and have NEVER had a problem with them.

The sound I get is crisp, punchy and full with no lack of low end. I guess it depends what bass and amp you use...

6. personally i think ashdown cabs are better than hartke and around the same price...

7. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    Yorkville :cool:

8. metal warrior

metal warrior

Sep 6, 2003
    MI
  9. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Steelsound started making 2*10, 4*10, 1*15 and 2*15 cabs loaded with Eminence speakers. These cabs are supposed to be really awesome, and my experience with SS has always been really good. Check them out at www.steelsound.com

10. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sorry to say this but almost all the brands you have mentioned isn't avaible in sweden, haven't found a dealer for them. But i talked with my friends at the store and i think i will go for a Ashdown MAG, thanks anyway for your help! :)

11. I had Trace Elliot for a while , very good for the money.

Ive also used Ashdown Mag heads really good value for money, the cabs are really chaep.Have a look at Behringer stuff on website dirt cheap cabs and available in Europe.

We are not us lucky as our friends in the US who have low prices and a huge choice !!

Hartke stuff is also good but more funky bass sound, the Ali cones are very punchy and bright.

Peavey bass cabs are also good for the low cost, again available in Europe at most stores.

Try www.soundslive.co.uk for international sales of bass gear mainly Ashdown

Mart

12. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I have tried different Behringer cabs and didn't like them. I am interested in Trace elliot but i just saw that they don't have dealer in sweden, kinda strange :confused:

The local store have ordered different Ashdown heads, combos and cabs to have in stock and i will be the first one to try them out! I'm very interested in the MAG 300H head :hyper: