Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheap, good quality 5 string??? is it possible?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by puppet654, Nov 8, 2000.

1. puppet654

puppet654 Guest

Apr 6, 2000
    I'm really looking for a very cheap 5 string bass that can still hold it's own. I have no idea, so if anybody has had any experience with their first 5 string, and they care to share and give me tips on which I should buy, please help, I need it in before Christmas! So please help, I have no idea what's good, what I can get a deal on, what's the best for the money. I don't wanna go past $400 on this, so they have to be cheap but nice. HELP!!!

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Fender Standard Jazz 5
    Dean Edge 5
    ESP B-205

That should get you started...:)

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I don't think you can get a "nice" 5-string for under $400. You can, however, get "okayish" 5-strings. If you could, I'd say add a few hundreds and look for something better, preferably in the used market. I had my Yamaha TRB-5 for around $650, and it's a much better bass than the ones Deynn mentioned.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Cort Curbow 5 String.
    $429 at MArsmusic.com but you can get a better price at http://www.planetbass.com and of course at E-Bay if you find one.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I saw that http://www.planetbass.com has a "Cort Walnut Stain Action Bass 5 String" on sale for $250. Retails at $499... How's that for a bargain (if you're hunting cheap gear, that is)?

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's only a bargain if it sounds good. You can easily get 5 strings for $250 but that doesn't mean they are any good.

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I am well aware of that - I doubt there are any *good* 5-strings at all in that price range, which makes us looking for the *least bad* cheap 5-string bass available. And since it's no good anyway, the cheaper the better, eh? :)

8. You may want to check out the Yamaha BBN5. For right around $400.00, it's a good deal.

Hey, it was good enough for my old bass teacher, and he's a monster!

9. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    I'd highly recommend a Dean. As far a inexpensive 5 strings got they're the ticket. Sure you could get a Fender but all of the Fender fives I've played have had a way floppy B, even the american deluxe. Corts look real cool but as far as I'm concerned they're total crap. Dean gives you a 35" scale, good passive emg p-ups and all the quality construction you could expect and then some......for a bass in that price range.

10. puppet654

puppet654 Guest

Apr 6, 2000
    yeah, I was originally thinking about a dean, or a Yamaha, or even a Tobias headless.

11. snfjtu

snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    Get a Cort Curbow 5...I have a Cort Curbow 6 and it is the best bass for the buck. The B-string is tight, and the sound is killer, for the kind of music I like anyway (prog rock/metal, classic rock). It really lends itself to all styles. The 5 string has a different type of pick-up in it than the 6 string though. The 6 has a Bartolini, and the 5 has MightyMite. It's really a pro quality instrument and a cheapo price.

12. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Dean = Cheap Instrument.
    Tobias = I have never seen a HEADLESS Tobias in my life.

Cort Curbow = The Way to go.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Try to find a used Guild (not DeArmond) Pilot 5 - string. They were very well made american basses and had a great sound, with EMG pickups. I can't think of a better value. Well maybe a Peavey Axcelerator 5, but that's it.

Will C.:cool:

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Tobias headless? What the hell? You mean steinberger?

And yeah, Yamaha BBN5 is a GREAT choice!

15. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    If you can find another $50 you could get the MTD K-5.It's a Korean made MTD with one Music Man style pickup and a 35" scale.The B string is exceptional for an instrument at this price and the bass looks good,too.The thing lists for $629.99 and stores are selling it for $449.

16. puppet654

puppet654 Guest

Apr 6, 2000
    ok, so it might be Steinberger

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dude, those music-you steinbergers suck. What a bunch of butt loogey.

18. puppet654

puppet654 Guest

Apr 6, 2000
    so far, I'm leanin' towards the Yamaha right now, can anybody help me out with some Ibanez GSR205 info? What's it play like?

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Jesus, the Ibanez cant even BEGIN to compare to the Yamaha. The Yamaha plays better, sounds better, looks better, more easily upgradable, will last a long time, and is just generally very well worth the money. That Ibanez is ass.

20. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Doesn't Jay Turser make a five string?...:D