cheap good sounding amp for local shows

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pestilence, May 24, 2005.

1. pestilence

Feb 4, 2004
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am not familiar with the new Carvin line.

I would look at something like a GK 400 RB and a Schroeder 1210 or 1212. Can be had for around $1000, or less if you get the head used.

The Schroeders are small, light, and are as loud as any 410 I have heard.

I play an iAMP 800 through a Schroeder 1210, and it is loud enough for medium sized clubs.
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I got my rig for about $1000. I got a Kustom Groove Bass 1200 head (1200 watts) and two Avatar cabs (a 1x12 and 2x10 both with horns). The Avatars BLOW away Carvin cabs for sure (I;ve had Carvin cabs, I know). That's about the most rig (new, not used) you can get for $1000....
  4. Derakh Djinn

Derakh Djinn

May 23, 2005
    I agree on the Groove Bass head, I just picked one up and its amazing for the cost. I haven't had a chance to use an Avatar cab myself, but the speakers they use are nice, and the price seams pretty competative with larger name brand cabs.

Schroeder's are something you also might want to look into, don't let their size and speaker configuration fool you. Just do a search on here to find the mega-thread about them which will explain more than I ever could on here.

If you're looking for a combo Kustom also has the Groove Bass combo's in multi configurations available. go to and do a search for local dealers and check one out, you wont be dissapointed!
  5. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Bang for your buck definately goes to the Groove Bass + Avatar combination. $1000 could get you up to 1200Watts through 2 cabs, and a very decent tone that is flexible. No, it wont sound like a huge Eden rig, but it wont cost as much either.
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What do you play? I'd suggest either the Kustom Groovebass or the Traynor YBA-200. Either would be an awesome choice, but from experience the YBA is warmer.
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I am familiar with the new Carvin amps, and they're very good stuff. If I were you, though, I'd try to scrape together a few more bucks and get the B1500 head instead. It'll give you many more options for the future. For my tastes, it's a considerably nicer amp than a G-K 400 or 800. But of course that's mere opinion.

Never played that Kustom, but a lot of people like it, and it sounds like it's a real beast.
  8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Don't be so sure unless you've checked out the BRX cabs. ;) I just did last month, and IMHO there's a big difference from the RedLine cabs....:cool:
  9. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    If you go used, you might be able to get your hands on an Aguilar GS410 and a G-K 400RB, RBIII, or RBIV. I used to have an Aggie 410 w/ a 400RBIII and it was one of the best sounding combos ever.