1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap Heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ebladeboi123, Jul 18, 2007.

1. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Hey everybody, I never really post here so I'm sorta stupid when it comes to amps. But I have a question, what are some good quality cheap heads (used is fine). For example you know how certain basses (ie peavys) loose lots of resale value because of there name, but are still great basses. I would like something similar in a head. I'm going to be using this as my practice rig. I never feel like setting up my GK + Schroeder rig after every show, so I just leave it by the door for the most part. I have a hartke and eden cab so I'm not worried about a cab, just need to know a good cheap head.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Peavey makes/made a good all purpose Bass Head. It simply has a gain knob, slider eq, and a post knob for volume. They sound great and you can usually pick them up for about 100 bucks used. Peavey Mark III, cheap, reliable.

Edit: I have seen them going for 75 used online!

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    How cheap exactly? For $600 you could get another GK 1001 RB-II or a Markbass LMII.

4. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I think the best bang for buck out there at this time is a Kustom 1200 head, used. There are some out there for real cheap, and they have gotten quite good reviews on here, and put out alot of poop for the cash. Thats what I would buy, if I was broke and looking right now. Good Luck!

5. i got my peavy nitrobass head for 250 used to go with the 115 cab i got for 100 at a farm auction. look around your area to see if there are any good deals

6. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
  7. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    I have one of these and they have great tone and tons of power for the price! It'd be a great practice amp as well as a perfect backup to your GK.

8. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    I agree 100 percent. Great head for the money with tons of power

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Peavey Max series and Nitro/Fire/Delta series. Fantastic amps, made in USA, and inexpensive used. Which model depends on how much power you need and money you have. They are conservatively rated. My Max 160 is all I need.

10. I quite like the cheaper Hartke, quite good for the money. Maybe you should look for one of the older Hartke 3500.

11. Peavey Firebass, cheap as chips, hell of a reliable, sounds pretty decent, very loud and will probably outlive you. moderatley heavy.

12. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Thanks guys I'll be looking at all those. It is a secondary amp, mainly to just use for practice because I'm getting to lazy to set up my amp for 2 days then tear it down again, so power isn't really that big a deal. If my GK ever goes down (which they don't do that often) I'll have PA support so if I only have 100 watts it'll be fine.

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Lots of people here seem to like the GK Backline 600. 300W for 300 bucks.

14. Used Peavey, Carvin, or Hartke will probably be the best bang for the buck used. Also, keep you eye out for a Yorkville BS400. rock solid stuff.