1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap Home Studio

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by vaca11, Jul 22, 2012.

1. vaca11

vaca11

Aug 11, 2011
    Hey guys im up to building my own home studio. Its not going to be something fancy, cheap behringer stuff for my own little pleasure.

All i want is a very cheap setup like 10-12 channel Xenyx mixer 2 loudspeakers may be monitors and other essentials.

Im not an expert about what to buy in this stuff (like i dont know difference between powered and normal mixer or will i need a power amp)

I am likely to use thomann.de or gak.co.uk

The reason im going too cheap is my gf is buying new curtains and they cost more than a musicman...

Sorry for poor grammar and i hope its the right forum

2. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    I'm not entirety clear on what you're asking, but it sounds like you want to know what you need to build a small home studio.

So, 10-12 ch mixer, powered monitors, DAC.

If you're going with Behringer, something like this could work:
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/X1222USB.aspx
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B2030A.aspx
    This will get you 6 mic pres, a digital audio interface, and powered monitors.

However, you could also do something like a Soundcraft EPM6, a M-Audio Fast Track, and some M-Audio AV40 monitors.

Be aware that cheaping out on monitors can be a bad idea.

3. If you don't need more than 2 mic preamps, I highly recommend the M-audio Fast Track Pro. I've been using it for a while now and I like it as much as the much more expensive Edirol FA-66 interface.

My only experience with mixers is with 48-channel digital live-sound consoles. So can't help ya there.

If you get "active" studio monitors (like the M-audio V40 monitors Hactar mentioned or the KRK Rokit series), you won't need a powered mixer or power amps at all.

4. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    OP, I think we can help you better if we know a couple things.

Specifically, what is your budget? How many mic preamps do you need?

5. vaca11

vaca11

Aug 11, 2011
    my budget is around 400-500 euros, likely to buy from thomann.de or gak.co.uk

the main prupose of this room is not recording but rehearsals. Although i will still buy an usb interface for recording

so far i decided a behringer pmp3000, a couple of behringer eurolive speakers B212XL, LD Systems SAT 242, and couple of di boxes (art Mp for mic and behringer something for instruments)

BTW if i know this thnig really works or got any usage i would love to buy it.. looks so cute ^^
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_total_control_1_bk_mkii.htm

6. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Ermmm, some questions:

What are you going to do with the SAT 242s?
    And what would you do with the "the box Total Control 1 BK MKII"?

As far as the PMP3000, personally, I would go with powered speakers, and a passive board. More flexibility, etc.

7. vaca11

vaca11

Aug 11, 2011
    i thought about active speakers or power amp + mixer but it ended up much more expensive

a friend of mine told me i would need SAW242's for low end

and those small things just looks cute.. i not even know how to plug them to amp

8. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Well, by my calculations, a PMP3000 (which is discontinued btw) and 2 B212XLs adds up to $720.
    You could get a Soundcraft EPM12 and 2 B212Ds for $40 more, and a EPM12 would be miles above the Behringer board.

That said, if you want to go powered mixer, and passives, go for it.

As far as the SAT242's, first of all, you will need another amp.
    Second, they will not make much of a difference. A B212XL is specced at 200W, sens. 95dB, and a freq. response of 65-18kHz.

A SAT242 is specced at 100W, sens. 88dB, and a freq. response of 75-20kHz.

I doubt a SAT242 will add low end.

As for the "small thing", it sounds like you have no purpose for it, except to use up your budget.

9. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    On that budget- if you already have an iPad - you should consider garage band, amp kit,
    Apogee One, headphones, and a set of computer speakers.

10. vaca11

vaca11

Aug 11, 2011

if we cancel SAT242 since they got no usage

325 + 410 euros =735 euros for soundcraft setup

300 + 240 euros = 540 euros for pmp setup

looks like in eu prices are bit higher ^^ yet i may look to other possibilities

11. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I bought an ADAT and a Mackie 16 channel mixer on eBay for about $400. The ADATs used to cost $4000 when they first came out in the 90's. I'm only really using this for listening back to our rehearsals. It sounds pretty great to me, but then again I'm not mastering a CD either.