Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap Hotwire!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CoolHat, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Thanks for the link, CoolHat. I'm on the look-out for a jazz at the moment so I appreciate the tip. I don't know much about Hotwire basses though. I'll do a TB search and see what the suss (story/news/info) is.

All the best,

Rob.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I like their website. They have multiple soundclips for all of their models.

1500 for an unadorned slab of ash? The setup better be good.

3. Check the other link, its only 900 there. BTW, I have no personal experiences with Hotwires, but they´re pretty highly regarded by many TB´ers. Sort of "European Sadowsky". With MIM Fenders going for 600-700 euros over here, I´d say 900 for a hand made Jazz is a bargain.

4. I spent much of the day sailing about their website. It's nice that I can order the exact spec Jazz that I want but I wonder how (for example) a Lakland Daryl Jones or Joe Osborn compare to a €1500 Hotwire. (I've had my eye on a Lakland DJ for a short while now).

I'd appreciate hearing any experience TBers may have had with Hotwire Jazzes. The sound-clips don't sound too stunning but I'm sure you could squeeze almost any sound out of a Jazz with the right amount of knob tweaking.

Rob.

5. Thanks for that, Smash. To be honest, I hadn't heard the name Hotwire until I started searching for Jazz Basses here on TB.

Hope your new bass is still making you grin ...

Rob.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Although Hotwires have never stunned me visually, I've never heard a bad thing about them sonically. They're apparently really killer instruments, and from what I've heard about them, 1500 euros is a damn sweet price.

7. I play a Hotwire Vintage Five and I'm very happy with it. In fact, it's very good instrument indeed. I really like the sound of that bass... it's very growly and deep, but also quite transparent. Although I'm not sure if the 4-string sounds as deep as the 5-string, for 900 euros, this bass is a real bargain!

But maybe you could check out the new Sadowsky Metro's too... I guess that in the USA or Canada the prices of those basses are sweet too (???).

8. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Hey guys, don't forget it is the export price, without VAT. Cheapest is 1670.... so it is going to cost you more then this.

In the German version of the site one can take a look at the retailprices. 899 is very cheap. I emailed a few monts ago with musik produktiv, but the last Hotwire was already gone, and they weren't about taking more models up in their catalogue. So perhaps you are setting hope on nothing...

Hotwire..played them two times and indeed the tone is much more beefy as said before. Great action on the neck and it sounds great. Nothing wrong with it, although I should buy a Boerjes bass...also German and really fantastic. I played last weekend on the JB5 Custom and you just can't believe it is 2000 euro's instead of 4000... and it has real soul and feeling, something what the Hotwire hasn't got that much!

I am definitely going to buy one of these after I sold my Warwick Streamer...

(http://www.bass-guitars.de/bass_guitars_1.htm)

(But if you find one for 899,-..you definitely should buy it! Talking about having luck, choosing a backup bass or something. :D)