Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap(ish) Electric Guitar Suggestions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aram, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I have around $300 in credit at Guitar Center, and am looking to pick up a lower-end guitar (to be used primarily for rock/R&B-ish tunes).

I'm willing to kick in another $100 or so, but probably no more than that. Oh, and if possible I would like to buy an American made instrument (gotta support my home country ;) )

If a domestic instrument is out, though, I'd be leaning towards a Mexican Strat...but I'm open to other advice...

Anyone have some suggestions for me?

Thanks!!
    -Aram

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    while this is music related and belongs in misc...

my olp mm4 guitar plays nicer than 90% of the MIM strats/teles i've played. plus it was only $200.

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    oops! can anyone move this thing over to Misc for me?

Thanks Jason! I'll check that out! Is that the EVH-looking one?

4. If you can find any Schecter PT Elites...get that! It's shaped like a tele and goes for $300. I also own a fender nashville tele, which sells for $500 new, and my schecter is much more comfortable, plays, and sounds better.

5. How about a MIM tele? I love mine - it weighs a tonne but stands up to anything.

6. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I would say SX....but they don't carry it. I own an SX strat copy, it is nice. It is worth the $75 paid for it.

7. go there and play every guitar in your price range for at least 20 min each

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

MIM Tele or Strat. If they are still about...for style those DanElectro's seem to be pretty nicely made.

You could try Ibanez too.

9. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    if it's just for messing around with..by an SX for under $150, and use the rest for other gear/stuff! then you'd get even more bang for the buck. I love my tele copy...

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

Where did you find one for $300??!!!!

11. At my local GC when they were blowing them out....dont know if there are any left. You have PM.

12. Do they carry Godin?

If so, they are an unbelievable instrument (all models). In the lower range, the Godin SDxt is an incredibly great sounding and superbly made instrument. I prefer it is to the Gibson Les Paul I used to own.

Godin instruments are made in Canada and the USA so you can be somewhat patriotic.

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Finding an American made guitar in that price range at a chain store will be difficult. Sometimes stores carry used instruments--for example, my local GC sometimes has used Carvins, which IMO can be a great deal. As for new, though, your choices will be pretty limited for USA made. As was noted, Godin is USA and Canadian made, I'm not sure of the exact proportions. A Godin Radiator would be in your ballpark. Also consider Peavey guitars, as some of them are quite decent. The less expensive Schecters, as you know, are made in Asia, so they may not be what you're looking for.

14. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Another vote for...

Mexi Strat

15. Bass our Guitar? For bass, I would go look at something used. The selection of new stuff at GCs is pretty small, only 7 brands. With guitars, you have a BIG selection to choose from. Personally I would go with a Jackson, but that's my opinion.

Rock on
    Eric:bassist:

16. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Guys,

Thanks for your help -- keep 'em coming :D

I would never had thought of Godin -- I will see if they carry the brand and/or can order it. Thanks!

Also, what would you think of used Wolfgangs (Peavey)? -- the store seemed to have a large number of those...though I don't know if even used ones will fall in my price range.

-Aram

17. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have a MIM Tele that I absolutely love. It is built like a tank and sounds pretty good.

I also have a MIM Strat.

Both guitars are good for the price. Nothing fancy or special. Just fun to play.

18. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Oh yeah,

I forgot to mention that I am selling my MIM Strat.
    It is black w/ white pickguard and in good condtion. I am in the NY area.

Aram, if you can cash your credit, make me an offer.

19. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

they probably won't, but if one IS in your price range...GET IT!