Cheap, knockaround bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, May 9, 2001.

1. Hey Guys,

My main bass is a Marcus Miller Fender Jazz, which I love. But I need to keep a bass in my car and/or office that I can practice with and not worry about it getting beat up. I'd like it to feel as much like my main bass as possible, but I don't want to pay more than $150 US, less if possible. I'm thinking Squire or Mexi-Fender used, or even this brand Essex I've been seeing.

What do you think I should get?

Thanks.

2. I like squier p basses.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Hi Mark! This morning I saw new Lark basses going on eBay for $160. Evidently the seller got some kind of deal and is getting rid of the 20 he bought.

The sale stops in about 6 hours, I think.

I don't know anything about Larks, but what can you say? $160 will about get you and a friend to an NFL game.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I think I'd lean to a Mexi Jazz, since your intention is to have a stand-in for your Marcus Miller.

5. thanks, Rikbass. I went on Ebay (I feel I'm pretty savvy there), but couldn't find any Lark basses. Bottom feeding, there's some Johnson's, but I don't know anything about them.

Remember, next time you gig in KC you look me up!

Mark

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Mark - I know why you couldn't find them - the ad title doesn't contain the word "lark." If you want to take a gander, try the Smart Search option, "bass," put in a $150-200 price range and exclude the usual words :rolleyes: boat/fishing/lure/fish. The ad title has the word "CLOSEOUT". Or maybe you know a better way to do it in the simple search.

Hope to get to KC this summer.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The Squier Affinity Series P bass is an amazingly good bass for $149.00

I was very prejudiced against the idea of a $149.00 bass until I tried this one.

It's not quite as good as most $400 - $500 P basses(and copies:)), but for the price, it kicks butt!

8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I just saw an MIM Jazz on Ebay go for $191....and I bought one recently for $220 including a new hardcase. There ARE some good deals....you just have to watch for them.

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yamaha Attitude Plus sells around $250 new.
    It's basicly a P-copy.