Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap, knockaround bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, May 9, 2001.

1. Hey Guys,

My main bass is a Marcus Miller Fender Jazz, which I love. But I need to keep a bass in my car and/or office that I can practice with and not worry about it getting beat up. I'd like it to feel as much like my main bass as possible, but I don't want to pay more than $150 US, less if possible. I'm thinking Squire or Mexi-Fender used, or even this brand Essex I've been seeing.

What do you think I should get?

Thanks.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Hi Mark! This morning I saw new Lark basses going on eBay for $160. Evidently the seller got some kind of deal and is getting rid of the 20 he bought.

The sale stops in about 6 hours, I think.

I don't know anything about Larks, but what can you say? $160 will about get you and a friend to an NFL game.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I think I'd lean to a Mexi Jazz, since your intention is to have a stand-in for your Marcus Miller.

4. thanks, Rikbass. I went on Ebay (I feel I'm pretty savvy there), but couldn't find any Lark basses. Bottom feeding, there's some Johnson's, but I don't know anything about them.

Remember, next time you gig in KC you look me up!

Mark

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Mark - I know why you couldn't find them - the ad title doesn't contain the word "lark." If you want to take a gander, try the Smart Search option, "bass," put in a $150-200 price range and exclude the usual words :rolleyes: boat/fishing/lure/fish. The ad title has the word "CLOSEOUT". Or maybe you know a better way to do it in the simple search.

Hope to get to KC this summer.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Squier Affinity Series P bass is an amazingly good bass for $149.00

I was very prejudiced against the idea of a $149.00 bass until I tried this one.

It's not quite as good as most $400 - $500 P basses(and copies:)), but for the price, it kicks butt!

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I just saw an MIM Jazz on Ebay go for $191....and I bought one recently for $220 including a new hardcase. There ARE some good deals....you just have to watch for them.

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yamaha Attitude Plus sells around $250 new.
    It's basicly a P-copy.