cheap lakland skyline?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madfiddler, Mar 9, 2004.

1. I was seaching the web for UK Lakland dealers and wasn't able to find much via google

I came across S.M.A.R.T. Distribtion - they have the 55-01 at 665 GBP....this seems like a great price but, I've never heard of the company, anyone had any experience with them?

sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum! :p
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ok, i admit i dont have a clue what GPB is - lol
    imho, the lakland skylines are wonderful, ive played a buch and never been unimpressed - go korea
    in the us the 4's are about 1100 US, the 5's are maybe 1300
  3. Since they're about $700 in the US that doesn't look that great!
    If that's the best prize you can get in the UK you may be better
    off buying in the US and getting it shipped to you.
  4. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah, Skylines get the "best bang for your buck" award in my book.
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Sounds pricey, but I hear that USA made basses are more expensive in Europe....makes sense.

If you are interested in considering a used 55-01 send me a PM. I have a near mint 55-01 with Lakland hard case for sale.
  6. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    That's a good price! My Lakland 55-01 deluxe was around £860 at the Gallery in Camden.
  7. GBP = Great British Pounds!
  8. I'm sure that UK prices seem realy expensive to all you guys in the US!

It seems to me that whetever you pay in US Dollars we pay the same in if a bass is $1200 then it would cost us £1200....what with the exchange rate as it is £1200 is actually about $2160!!!!!!.....yeah I know, I've never understood this either.

anyone know what import tax would be if I bought something from the US?
  9. no-one heard of this company then? I know most people big-up the laklands, I was just hoping for info on the company.
  10. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    If you were to import a Lakland from the US to the UK, you'd have to pay 3% import duty on the value of the bass plus postage & packing, and then 17.5% on top of that, plus whatever brokerage fee the courier sees fit to add on for processing it (usually about £10 in my experience).

So, for a $1200 bass, with $100* shipping:
    $1300 = £725 (ish - based on today's rate)
    + 3% Import tax (£21.75)
    = £746.75
    +17.5% VAT (£130.60)
    = £876.84
    + Courier's handling fee ( £10 )
    = £886.84

*a figure plucked from the air; I don't know how much it'd cost to ship the bass from the US.

I've never had a full bass shipped from the US, so I can't recommend any stores or couriers, but with the exchange rate the way it is, now's a good time to be buying :D.
  11. >Sounds pricey, but I hear that USA made basses are more expensive in Europe....makes sense.

that's why I prefer to buy directly from Usa (Basscentral, Vintagebass) since the euro dollar ratio; don't know how it would be convenient for UK GBP

A fully insured, airway, 4/6 days shipping from Usa to Italy (GB should be just equal) should cost:

around 100 USD with USPS (see and calculate by yourself)
    125 USD by Baxglobal
    up to 200 USD by FEDEX or Dhl or Ups.

Call them and ask for a quotation
  12. thanks guys this is all really useful stuff.....

sounds like if I can get a good deal in the UK, even if it's more expensive it may be worth if I have any problems with the bass it would be easier to get things sorted and I wouldn't have to pay to ship it back to the states or anything!
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - both the Gallery and Bass Centre in London have Lakland Skylines and it is very satisfying to walk out with one under your arm that has been setup well and which you have tried extensively and decided is the best they have !!

That's what I did!! ;)
  14. does the gallery have a web site?

the bass centre (now House of Guitars) doesn't have mush on their site, just a contacts page!
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

16. Having just taken a bass through HM Customs and Excercise last weekend I should warn UK bass players that the bass rate of duty for goods imported from the US may increase by 5% (so basses would be 8.7% duty). There's a new ruling just issued which is increasing the tarrif. Just be warned.

SMART distribution also handle Rick Turner instruments. Although I've no experience of buying from them, nor know of anyone who has, my guess is that the brands they represent are fairly big names and so they ought to be fairly trustworthy.

You could also try contacting XO_Bionic (Russ) who was thinking of setting up a UK distribution for certain US brands. I'm not certain how far he has got with the venture, but you could try...
  17. there are some very cool looking basses indeedy on the gallery's web site!

thanks for more import tips...really thinking i'm not going to bother now!