1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap Lefty Bass Advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chrispurchase, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Chrispurchase

Chrispurchase

Oct 24, 2007
    Hi, I'm new around here so please go easy on me if this is a stupid question.

I'm currently studying music and I'm have to transport my MIA Jazz to school each day, as i don't have a car it's getting exposed to all sorts of weather, bumps and knocks + just having to carry it around all day every day is a bit of a pain.

So i thought that i would look at buying a second bass preferably a cheaper bass that i could leave locked up in the practice rooms at school figuring that hopefully no one would try to steal or generally want to play it being a lefty.

I'd really like to get a p bass and as I'm a student i can't really afford to spend a lot. the problem comes trying to find a cheaper lefty bass in New Zealand. i've been told about SX basses and am a bit cautious being unable to try one out before i buy, i've read a few bad reviews is this something to worry about? Squier don't seem to make a standard p just a p bass special is there a big tone difference between the two? what are the pro & cons of the special?

Are there any other brands that offer a low end bass that i should look at?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Chris

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The Squier P-bass special has volume knobs for each pickup; just turn the volume knob down on the jazz pickup to give it the P-bass sound. The neck's slim like a Jazz too, so the bass should feel comfortable for you, being used to your Jazz.

3. SX basses seem to get a pretty good response around here, especially for the money. If it's going to be a beater bass, $109 seems like a deal. I own a Douglas from Rondo and couldn't be happier with it.

You can get a Fender Squier Affinity series for around the same price.

Look used as well. Good Luck!

4. Chrispurchase

Chrispurchase

Oct 24, 2007
    yeah the $109 sx bass looks all good just that it will cost $110 to ship to New Zealand, so just want to make sure that it is worth it. Are there any other low budget lefty p's worth looking at?

5. OldBluesGuy

OldBluesGuy

Aug 14, 2008
    Enfield, CT
    Hey Chris,

I just got this back in May and I love it. I've got several of their guitars as well and they're great values for the money.

sx_spj-62-lefty_forum_pic.

6. Chrispurchase

Chrispurchase

Oct 24, 2007
    I saw that one on the rondo website, it looks really good. What is the tone and neck like on it?

7. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    That is Damn Sexy...