1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cheap,light 1x10 or 1x12 cab,or light combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by quadrogong, Sep 17, 2008.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    my ul410 is light,but i want something tiny,light and not too expensive,for my little mark II,something I can "one-hand" to a gig..

even a combo is ok,dont wanna spend a bundle,

i keep coming up with the epifani 1x10's.. used they're like $300,not bad, but i'd like to spend alot less if I can..

maybe a cheap combo,like crate or behringer even..
    but they still seem heavy.
    i'm not picky,even a 1x15 combo,anything..
    but it should be less weight than my ul410..

I saw an acoustic combo in musician's friend for $119
    that's ok, but it's not gonna be too light..
    i just want something light,and wanna keep the price down,new or used is fine..
    suggestions?..

2. tercesyrev

tercesyrev Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    go to craigslist. I was looking for a simliar thing and saw plenty. Ampeg B115 going for $200. Fendor 1x12 going for $150, etc.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
  4. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'd say keep the head since it is already purchased and just buy a small cab. I bet you could get a small light cabinet very cheap from CL or ebay.

5. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey

37pounds

259 bucks new

6. brandtb

brandtb Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I used to have an Ampeg BA115...it was 62 lbs. I could one-hand it, but not very far. It's also big enough you'll have to contort to get through doors if you're trying to do the "one hand".

You can go lighter and still get more power. My current rig is 40 lbs. in one hand, 18 lbs. in the other...less bulky and easier to maneuver. Plus, I've got three times the power as my old Ampeg.

As others have said, you've got the head (and pretty good one, so I hear). I'll second the recommendation of a 1x12. Avatar definitely has the best prices, and many say they are as good as the "name brands".

Brandt

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Sorry to say but for *light* you need *cash* and lots of it. There is really no avoiding that if you want good tone. However, the new schroe mini 12s are like 16LBS and the ampeg portabass series are also very light. If you can get one of those used you are doing well.

But the best cab for what you want is the UL112. It sounds awesome... very full and loud for its size and weight, but again its expensive. Might get a good bit cheaper on a used one. That's the cab I would get if I were you.

8. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    Got to tell you, being an old man and getting tired of hauling around my huge Trace rig, aka "The Poser," I just sold it all on Craig's List and I picked up a GK Backline 210 combo, aka "The Poser Jr." I've seen mixed reviews on the thing, but man, I LOVE it. I've used it in a couple of practices and a gig and the thing just plain rocks. I combine it with my Tech 21 VT Bass pedal, chorus, & Sonic Stomp and I couldn't be happier. Great price, great tone, built in DI, plenty of stage volume, one cabinet to haul around, and in the shape of a tilt-back floor monitor to boot. I could care less how many people rip on GK's Backline series of amps, I love the thing, my back loves the thing, and my WALLET loves the thing.

9. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    u r right
    Epi is best
    I looooove my ul410!
    And yeah some $80-$125 deals on CL
    For festivals I find that I get away with small amps but large cabs feel better

10. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    curious
    Why no suggestions for the Epifani 1x10?
    The twelve's almost as light or something?