1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap MM Copies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grizzly700, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Are there any cheap brands similiar to SX that make MM-style basses? I would prefer it to be >$200. If there are a few that make them, then which have the best quality. I plan to upgrade atleast the pups, tuners, and nut.

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    SX made mm copies for a short time ... probably the legal dept from Ernie Ball shut them down. I picked up one of their copies before they were shut down.

The original neck was s-curved and the original preamp made noise. So they both got replaced and now it is a looker and a player. Also what I like is it looks like the 5 sting Sterling.

sxmm02.

sxmm04.

3. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Wow, that looks great. I'm really impressed by that.

4. JacobE

JacobE

Jul 19, 2008
    OLP, the the squier equivelent of musicman, i dont think they ever made bongo basses but definetley stingrays, both 4 and 5 string. they should be really easy to track down as they only just stoped making them last year if your lucky you might find one that a dealer hasnt sold yet but you will definetley find one second hand.

5. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Why don't you go for an Ibanez ATK? I actually prefer them to stingrays (never liked 'em), but that's just me... Some folks around here stuck an MM pickup in there, and it seems to work just fine for them. They're not exactly copies, of course, but get really close. Especially with a pick (if you're a pick player).

6. bassman1987

bassman1987

Dec 1, 2008
    Denver, CO
    +1, I had an OLP for years , paid $230 for it new and it was a really solid bass. Construction was good, and I really liked the feel of the neck. Only thing was that mine was passive (rather than active as Music Man basses are), so if you're looking for an exact match of the MM sound they may not be the best for that.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    If you can find an OLP, that'd get you close. The main difference as Bassman1987 pointed out is that they are passive instead of active. This makes a bit of a difference. However, for under $300, I thought they were pretty nice. The neck felt good on the 2-3 that I played at GC.

Ernie Ball just came out with the Sterling by Music Man line. It's their version of more so a Skyline bass. They range from $600-750. Still a bit more than you were looking to spend.

The SUB Basses were around for a bit-they were in the $600-800 range.

I haven't played one, but The Bass Company aka TBC made a bass that had a MusicMan style humbucker, but I don't remember what price range they were.

Oh yeah...Jay Turser used to/does make a StingRay copy. I remember seeing one in a guitar shop at least 5-8 years ago.

good luck.

all the best.

8. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Stagg makes, or made, a copy.

9. Here's the one I used to own.

IMG_0937.
    IMG_1010.
    IMG_1009.
    IMG_0948-1.

10. Davecg2

Davecg2

Sep 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Founder, Dave BrowseMyGear.com
    I have an OLP MM22 Stingray, I got it for like 450 (last one samash.com had) and its an awesome bass. From what ive read the MM22s are much higher quality than the older MM2s. It has a 3 Band Active EQ, Dual Humbuckers and 5 Way pickup switch. I get a lot of compliments about its tone and the tonal range is crazy. I just got a MM Sterling and while i cant say the OLP sounds as good as the Sterling i will say its probably as close as youll get for the money. I was going to sell mine but have decided to keep it as my backup. Id def recommend an OLP as long as you get a MM22.

l_d4e8837e276244c4aa33dc799b8c7f42.

l_97800b00b3d34468a3018886cbee5c14.

l_d4c6451dc5884afc9b6eabf1d8af357b.

11. SX still make them, you just can't get them in the US.

There are a load of makers out there, but I think it's harder and harder to get them in the US.

Does it need to look like a MM? If not, there are tons of cheap basses out there using the MM pickup.

You could look on UK ebay and see if anyone would ship it, but by then it would be prety expensive. What about an OLP if you can find one, or a SUB if you can find one. Or the new "Stirling" basses.

There is also the ATK of course :)

12. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    Ibanez ATK?

13. 69limeRev

69limeRev Supporting Member

May 1, 2007
    Western Pa.
  14. Don't forget the Fernandes Atlas.

DSCF0069.

15. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I love my OLP MM 5string! I got lucky and scored it for just over $100. Plays great, sounds really good and looks really nice. Go with OLP if you find a nice one.

16. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
  17. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    in 2002 they were only 625.00, now a days 150-200...here's my 200.00 Dillion VMB500 spin-off. Excellent neck/string spacing reasonable sounding OEM pup, but way too heavy ( ash over maple )

P1010187.

18. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    yes! i have one of these too and it is an extraordinarily good bass, and not just for the money.

19. You can flip that 'D' tuner around in about 2 minutes and it looks like a proper 4+1.

I have one of those that I'm getting ready to part out...