Cheap Music Man 5 Taste Test?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, Jan 16, 2002.

1. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    There are a few cheapo Stingray 5s out there that may be worth me cutting my teeth on before I plung down some serious dollars and a real 5 string bass.

In the meanwhile, what do you think gives more bang for the buck?

OLP MM 5 copy or

Jay Turser MM 5 copy

and if there's anything other poorman(woman) MM 5's, do note.

2. MTD Kingston 5. Accept no substitutes when you're looking for an MM substitute. :D
  3. Again.. it's not a MM copy.. it's just a stingray.

i mean.. you don't call Sadowsky jazzbass a fender-copy, do you ?
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You can sometimes find REAL MM stingray 5's on ebay for around $750, if that meets your price point.

The Jay Tursers and OLP's will look like a Ray, but not sound or feel like one.
  5. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC

MM is usually considered the style of bass. like "MM pickup", "jazz pickup". they dont call it a "stingray pickup"

anyway, musicman only makes one kind of bass (not counting silhouette or whatever) unlike fender which has a J, P, RB, zone, etc.

so there :p
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Yeah I say and MTD kingston or MTD heir would be the best bass you can get for your $ range. Stingray copies really won't play or feel anything like the real thing, I played some OLPs last week for the first time.. They are decent basses... decent for the pricerange. but shouldn't be mistaken for the real thing.

.2 cents

7. Except no subsitute, save up and get a real one, it's totally worth it. With Basses, and all other music gear, it's best to spend some $ and get a real bass, guitar, etc. than to go thru a couple crappy ones.

Trust me, it'll be worth the wait.....;)
  8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Excellent point!But I think the reason people don't call Sadowsky's Fender-copies are because the Sadowsky jazz bass is better than the fender jazz.
  9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i call em' fender copies:D
  10. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hold it, hold it, hold it.

I posted the OLP/Jay T. question because I want to cut my teeth on a 5 string without a heavy commitment (as in $$$). If I grow comfy with the 5, THEN I'll save some real cash and get a proper 5 string.

I play G&L 4 string basses and I'm partial to a Fender on steroids vibe (as in G&L, Music Man, & retro fitted Fender Jazzers). I figure I'll take a chance and blow $250 on a 5 string Stingray copy. I KNOW its gonna be cheap, however if I do go cheap, let me get the best of the cheapos they have out. OLP and Jay T.s seem to fit the bill.

The way I see it, if I'm going to blow even $600+ bucks (like for a MTD Kingston range axe) I just as well search for a used older G&L 5 on eBay. Bottom line, if I don't take to the 5 string bass, at least I haven't invested too much $$$ to begin with. YES, I know it will not play nearly as good as even a mid-range Korean ax, but I figure its a safe starting point.

So again I ask, of OLP or JT, which 5 kicks more butt? OR is there another way cheap ax worth looking into?

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

dgce, I don't like the OLP, never played the Jay Turser. The MTD Kingston is not $600, it is a lot closer to your price range than you think. Musician's Fiend has the black ones for $479, and I'm sure that some reputable place like Bass Central(or your local dealer) could beat that price.

My experience with low priced 5+ string basses is that if you get one that isn't very good, it will sour you on them altogether. Happened to me. I bought an inexpensive 5 stringer that was neck heavy, had a huge neck profile and sounded bad. I played it for 3 or 4 months and got tired of the poor tone and the fact that my left hand hurt all of the time, and sold it. I decided that I was a 4 string guy.

It was several years later, when I got a decent quality 6, that I learned that I could play and enjoy extended range basses, as long as they were designed properly, and had decent tone.
  12. I never had a chance to check out an OLP, but I tried the J Turser 4 and 5-String. I actually did like the sound and playability of the 4-String (allthough the hardware looked awfull cheap). I didn't like the 5-String at all. The string spacing was way too narrow for me.
    I also tried a Squier 5-String and I kinda liked the feel of it. I didn't try it through and amp though so I can't say anything about the sound. But you might want to check it out.
  13. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    No need to get up tight. I just don't think a jay turser or OLP will do you any good. Neither have good tight low bs.. which might in turn just Like embellisher said, turn you off to 5-string basses. Besides if you decide you don't like a bass you can sell it.. yeah you will lose some money, but if you buy a cheapo 5-string bass and don't like it.. you won't get crap for it. At least with a Kingston, which I am sure you will be pleased with, if you decided to sell it you will get something out of it.. you may get 60-70% of what you paid for it instead of 30-40% of what you paid for a cheapo bass. just what I'm thinking here. and if you want your dream bass, you can get alot of "filler" basses so you won't long for it as much, but in the end you are just wasting money on basses you really don't want there by keeping you longer from the bass you long for.. just my opinion.
  14. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    I've tried the OLP basses, both the 4 and 5, and, fortunately, I had a room full of real Musicman basses around me to compare them to. This is what I thought.

First, the examples I tried (a 4 and a 5) were both good examples. I've heard on a number of occasions (including from the salesman in the store) that the OLP's cover a broad spectrum of quality, from complete rubbish to good value for money, so you really should try before you buy.

Second, the necks definately capture the MM feel. And, obviously, the body looks the part.

Third, the sound is there, but without the punch. If you like your Stingray with fairly flat settings, you'd be satisfied with the OLP.

Fourth, they were quite untidy compared to the real thing. The nut on the 5, while functional, was poorly fitted, and overall they both had a slightly sloppy feel with regards to finishing. It didn't effect the playability, but it was just very apparent.

Fifth (rather appropriately! ;) ), on the 5 I tried, the B felt okay. Nothing amazing, but far from the worst I've ever tried. Same for it's sound - it was there, and clear, I've hear better, but I've also heard much worse.

I realise you're specifically after a 5, while I've been talking about both a 4 and a 5, but the impression I came away with both was quite similar. Personally, I think for the money you can get them in the States, they're very good value. And the way you've stated your requirements (ie. that it would be a test period instrument) I think they'd give you a good idea of whether the 5 was for you or not.
  15. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Well...I reckon you've got a point. You know, I tried a Ibanez ATK 5 years ago and hated it. It did turned me off to 5s for years. I think I'll just shop around. I've tried the Ibanez BTM 5 and was really impressed. I'd considered a Mex Fender jazz 5 and eventually poping in some Seymours in. I've tried the Mex J5 with the active US pickups too and thought it was pretty decent. I don't know, the options damn near give me a nose bleed!

The sweetest mid-priced deals seem to be the Kingston and the Ibanez BTM 5s. I dig that the Kingston is stripped down so that the focus of what it cost to build it will be on the quality of the componets and construction, not flashy eye candy, whitsles and bells. Everyone respects Mike Tobias. I just have to find a place that actually has the Kingston so I can find out for myself.

I had posted elsewhere that my only pause with the Kingston is it's tonal limitations. A replacement pickup is the most obvious upgrade, however I hear the dimentions are not exactly a MM so neither a Seymour or Bart will fit without some slicing and dicing. Ugh! HOWEVER, I also hear that the contol cavity is very large for a two knob passive setup thereby living room for a pre-amp. Then again, there is such a thing as my amp's EQ.

Um...I better stop there, I'm getting dizzy