Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap musical equipment horror stories

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stinsok, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    We all know that you get what you pay for and some of us have learned a painful lesson when buying crap. Tell me your story (new equipment purchases preferred.)

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The one the comes to mind, was the cheap PA system my friend bought. He had gobs of money, but hey, he got a good deal! :scowl: His band played a wedding reception, and the radio came blaring through after each song. I mean really loud! After about 4 songs, the DJ took over.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    My first amp... Laney HardcoreMax 30B :spit:

When i was just a noob I went to a store to buy a small combo amp... We've had some background noise (guitarists :rolleyes: ) but even through all that I could hear something strange... They said if I get better, it will sound better... :spit: I was just a noob and this amp was about the right size for me, and couldnt find many amps here. It sounded even worse at home... weak bass, nasty nasal mid and harsh high. It even had some problems, and so I took it back under warranty... after two weeks they gave it to me back, saying that it is absolutely good, the problem must be with me or my gear :mad: :spit:

I hate Laney gear since then, and I hate this amp. I also have not again purchased anything from that shop :spit:
    I couldnt sell it when I tried to, as well.