Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheap n good starter bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chickow, Feb 9, 2004.

1. chickow

chickow

Feb 8, 2004
    im a newbie here,... need sum advice on bass amp, im a guitar player tt has just started to play bass n i need a practice amp, my bass is a second hand yamaha bb450 with emg p j active pups, so yeah looking for a cheap n good bass amps any ideas, i heard tt the peavey microbass is good, any others?

2. well we need to know how much money u have to spend cause there are alot of good cheap bass amps out there but how cheap must it be and yah taht peavey is good

3. Are you planning to play bass in a band in the future? If so, I would invest in something that will be sufficient in that context - say, a Hartke Kickback or equivalent. A used one shouldn´t cost so much more than a tiny practice amp and it will sound better. Personally I´ve never cared for "home" amps; I´d rather play unplugged than through a 15W box with a 5" speaker. YMMV, of course.

4. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    get an Avatar 210 bass cab and a cheapie bass head from your local used music shop

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Coolhat's suggestion is something I'm thinking of, too - One of my favorite bassists, Slim Man, plays his Steinberger through a Hartke kickback 15" and sounds so fine.

Another you might consider is a Carvin 15", (the one with higher wattage...I think it's about 100 or more watts). Legendary bassist, Bob Babbit, used one for recording/film of "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" and he sounded gorgeous.

However, realize, the sound coming out of your amp is very much dependent on your touch, (#1 factor), and the instrument you are running through it.

Nonetheless, there's nothing more reliable than going to all the music stores you can and trying out your bass through all the amps you can afford.